Determining the limits of integration

So the limits on x are 0 and 2. The graph of y = 2-x^2 is a parabola opening downward, so it is enough to find the points of intersection with z = 0.
ahmetbaba

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations;

z=9-x3 y=2-x2 y=0 z=0, x is equal to or bigger than 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well finding the limits for z and y were simple, they are given, however I'm finding trouble finding the upper limit for x.

0[tex]\leq z [/tex][tex]\ leq9-x^3

0[tex]\leq y [/tex][tex]\leq2-x^2

0[tex]\leq x [/tex][tex]\leq[/tex]?

This may be trivial and something really easy, but I don't know this particular solution. Thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
ahmetbaba said:

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of the solid bounded by the graphs of the equations;

z=9-x3 y=2-x2 y=0 z=0, x is equal to or bigger than 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well finding the limits for z and y were simple, they are given, however I'm finding trouble finding the upper limit for x.
Fixed your LaTeX below. Click on an expression to see what I did.
ahmetbaba said:
[tex]0 \leq z \leq 9 - x^3[/tex]

[tex]0 \leq y \leq 2 - x^2[/tex]

[tex]0 \leq x \leq ?[/tex]

This may be trivial and something really easy, but I don't know this particular solution. Thanks for the help
If you integrate with respect to x last, I believe that the limits on x are 0 and sqrt(2).

No, your first post said specifically "x is equal to or bigger than 0".

What is the purpose of determining the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are used to define the boundaries of the region over which a mathematical function is being integrated. This helps to accurately calculate the area under the curve or the volume of a solid in a given range.

How do you determine the limits of integration for a single variable function?

To determine the limits of integration for a single variable function, you first need to identify the range of values for the variable that is being integrated. This can be done by analyzing the given function and any given conditions or constraints. The lower limit will be the smallest value in this range and the upper limit will be the largest value.

What is the process for finding the limits of integration for a double or triple integral?

The process for finding the limits of integration for a double or triple integral involves graphing the region of integration and identifying the boundaries in each dimension. These boundaries will then be used to set up the appropriate limits of integration for each integral. It is important to carefully consider the order in which the integrals are evaluated to ensure accurate results.

Can the limits of integration be negative or non-numeric values?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative or non-numeric values. This is often the case when integrating functions that involve inverse trigonometric or logarithmic functions. It is important to carefully consider the properties of the function and the range of values for the variable when determining the limits of integration.

What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the resulting calculation for the integral will also be incorrect. This can lead to inaccurate solutions and potentially incorrect conclusions. It is important to carefully determine the correct limits of integration to ensure accurate results.