Determining the Number of Solutions Using Generating Functions

• Thread starter alec_tronn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the number of solutions in nonnegative integers to the equation a + 2b + 4c = 10^30 and the attempt at a solution using a generating function. The speaker used the Apart function in Mathematica to separate the generating function into infinite series and calculated the coefficients for the term with 10^30. However, after adding all the coefficients, the result was negative, indicating a mistake in the approach. The speaker asks for help in correcting any errors in their calculation.
alec_tronn

Homework Statement

Determine the number of solutions in nonegative intergers to the equation:
a + 2b + 4c = 10[tex]^{30}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The generating function I've found is f(x) = 1/[(1-x[tex]^{4}[/tex])(1-x[tex]^{2}[/tex])(1-x)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty sure I need to get from here to an explicit formula, but I'm not sure how to start. Any hints to get me started on this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, using the Apart function in Mathematica, I separated the generating function into:

[-1/(8(-1+x)^3)] + [1/(4(-1+x)^2)]- [9/(32(-1+x))]+ [1/(16(1+x)^2)]+ [5/(32(1+x))]+ [(1+x)/(8(1+x^2))]

Then, I turned those each into the followings infinite series:
[(-1/2)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](n+1)x^n][(1\2)[tex]\Sigma[/tex]x^n], so the coefficient for 10^30 is -1\4[((10^30)/2) +1],

(-1\2)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](n+1)x^n, so the coefficient is -1\2(10^30+1)

(9\30)[tex]\Sigma[/tex]x^n, so the coefficient is 9\32

(1\4)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](n+1)(-x)^n, so the coefficient is (1\4)(10^30+1)

(5\32)[tex]\Sigma[/tex](-x)^n, so the coefficient is 5\32

(1\8)[tex]\Sigma[/tex]x^(2n+1), so the coefficent is 1\8,

I add up all the coefficients is (-1\2)((10^30)+1)+(1\2)

Thats negative, so it can't be the answer. I'm awfully rusty in the Calc 2 skills of making functions like that into series... so if anybody could catch any of my mistakes I'd be forever grateful!

1. What is a generating function?

A generating function is a mathematical tool used to represent a sequence of numbers or coefficients as a formal power series. It is often used in combinatorics and number theory to solve problems involving counting and finding patterns.

2. How does a generating function determine the number of solutions?

A generating function can be used to represent the coefficients of a polynomial equation, where the powers of the variable represent the number of solutions to the equation. By manipulating the generating function, we can extract the coefficients and determine the number of solutions.

3. Can generating functions be used for any type of equation?

Generating functions are most commonly used for polynomial equations, but they can also be used for other types of equations such as recurrence relations and differential equations. However, the techniques for extracting solutions may vary depending on the type of equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using generating functions?

Generating functions can be a powerful tool for solving certain types of problems, but they may not always be the most efficient or practical method. In some cases, the generating function may be difficult to manipulate or the coefficients may not have a closed form expression.

5. How can I learn more about using generating functions to determine solutions?

There are many online resources and textbooks available that cover the topic of generating functions and their applications. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of combinatorics and basic algebraic manipulation techniques. Practice problems and exercises can also aid in understanding and mastering the concept.