• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Determining the surface area on a 5 sided lunar esque shape

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the surface area on a 5 sided shape where the sides can all be modeled by "lunes". The shape will end up looking like a banana peel. We are modeling the sides of the shape as lunes with varying angles on a sphere of radius 3 inches. I'm trying to figure out how I would determine the surface area of the banana peel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let me begin by saying I am quite confused... I have done a lot of thinking on this problem but seemingly to no avail. If I have 5 sides, could I do a length x width for each side and multiply it by 5? I need one of you genius's on this forum to help me understand what's going on here!

Answers and Replies

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

I'm trying to figure out the surface area on a 5 sided shape where the sides can all be modeled by "lunes". The shape will end up looking like a banana peel. We are modeling the sides of the shape as lunes with varying angles on a sphere of radius 3 inches. I'm trying to figure out how I would determine the surface area of the banana peel.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let me begin by saying I am quite confused... I have done a lot of thinking on this problem but seemingly to no avail. If I have 5 sides, could I do a length x width for each side and multiply it by 5? I need one of you genius's on this forum to help me understand what's going on here!
What makes you think that the area of one lune = length multiplied by the width? How closely do your lunes resemble rectangles?

Ah, i suppose not very close, was just taking a shot in the dark. Is there a similiar equation for this situation? It must be a bit more complicated because it would include angles and radius of the sphere I suppose.

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Ah, i suppose not very close, was just taking a shot in the dark. Is there a similiar equation for this situation? It must be a bit more complicated because it would include angles and radius of the sphere I suppose.
It's not clear what this shape looks like, but here is more information on the geometry of spherical lunes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_lune

so the surface area of a spherical lune is given by 2*θ*R^2, and since there are five lunes would it just be this multiplied by 5?

SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
so the surface area of a spherical lune is given by 2*θ*R^2, and since there are five lunes would it just be this multiplied by 5?
As long as each lune is identical in having the same angle θ.

You've never attached a picture of this figure, so I can't say for certain. :frown:

a banana peel where each side can be modeled as a lune