1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the surface area on a 5 sided lunar esque shape

1. May 6, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to figure out the surface area on a 5 sided shape where the sides can all be modeled by "lunes". The shape will end up looking like a banana peel. We are modeling the sides of the shape as lunes with varying angles on a sphere of radius 3 inches. I'm trying to figure out how I would determine the surface area of the banana peel.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let me begin by saying I am quite confused... I have done a lot of thinking on this problem but seemingly to no avail. If I have 5 sides, could I do a length x width for each side and multiply it by 5? I need one of you genius's on this forum to help me understand what's going on here!

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What makes you think that the area of one lune = length multiplied by the width? How closely do your lunes resemble rectangles?

4. May 8, 2016 #3
    Ah, i suppose not very close, was just taking a shot in the dark. Is there a similiar equation for this situation? It must be a bit more complicated because it would include angles and radius of the sphere I suppose.

5. May 8, 2016 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what this shape looks like, but here is more information on the geometry of spherical lunes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_lune

6. May 8, 2016 #5
    so the surface area of a spherical lune is given by 2*θ*R^2, and since there are five lunes would it just be this multiplied by 5?

7. May 8, 2016 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

As long as each lune is identical in having the same angle θ.

You've never attached a picture of this figure, so I can't say for certain. :frown:

8. May 8, 2016 #7
    a banana peel where each side can be modeled as a lune

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted