Determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the time when the concentration begins to decrease and clarifying the difference between the time when concentration is equal to zero and when it begins to decrease. The speaker also mentions the connection between the derivative and the direction of a function.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
The question asks, "at what time.." does that mean at the fifth hour? Or after five hours and 24 minutes? I'm stuck with wording my answer
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_4248.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: The question asks, "at what time.." does that mean at the fifth hour? Or after five hours and 24 minutes? I'm stuck with wording my answer
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 262780
Your approach to determining the time when the concentration begins to decrease makes no sense to me. And the time for concentration to be equal to zero is at time t = 0 only. Please describe your rationale for determining the time when the concentration begins to decrease.

"At what time does the concentration begins (sic) to decrease?"
A function is increasing if its derivative is positive; a function is decreasing if its derivative is negative.

1. What is the purpose of determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease?

Determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease is important in many scientific experiments, as it can help researchers understand the rate at which a substance is being consumed or produced. This information can be used to make predictions about future reactions or to optimize reaction conditions.

2. How is the time at which concentration begins to decrease calculated?

The time at which concentration begins to decrease can be calculated by plotting a graph of concentration over time and identifying the point at which the slope of the curve changes from positive to negative. This point is known as the inflection point and represents the beginning of the decrease in concentration.

3. What factors can affect the time at which concentration begins to decrease?

The time at which concentration begins to decrease can be influenced by a variety of factors such as temperature, pressure, reactant concentrations, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and therefore impact the time at which the concentration starts to decrease.

4. Why is it important to accurately determine the time at which concentration begins to decrease?

Accurately determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease is crucial for the interpretation and validity of experimental results. It allows for the identification of the most active phase of a reaction and can provide valuable information for further studies and applications.

5. Are there any limitations to determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease?

There are some limitations to determining the time at which concentration begins to decrease, such as experimental error, variations in reaction conditions, and the complexity of some reactions. It is important to carefully design experiments and consider these limitations when interpreting results.