1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the volume of a function ratating around an axis.

1. Jan 25, 2010 #1
    Hi all. I am a recent Chemical Engineering graduate, and I recently was program recommended into the Naval Nuclear Engineering Program. While going over a study guide for my technical interviews coming up, I came across this problem, and my mind went blank! It goes something like this:

1. Plot both y=x^2 and y=x^3 on the same graph, but only to 1.
    2. Determine the area inbetween both functions using integration.
    3. Imagine this space inbetween the functions was rotated about the x-axis. What will the volume of this region be.

While both parts 1. and 2. are quite trivial, I couldn't seem to figure out the the last part of the problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2010 #2

cronxeh

Gold Member

The cross section you are interested in is a washer. Your inner radius is made by x^3, and your outer radius is made by x^2. The area is Pi*radius^2. So inner area is Pi*(x^3)^2, and outer area is Pi*(x^2)^2. The difference is the area you are interested in. A(x) = outer area - inner area = Pi*(x^4-x^6)

The volume of rotation around x-axis is V= int(A(x)dx,x,0,1) = (2*pi)/35

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook