Determining the volume of a function ratating around an axis.

In summary, the conversation is about a recent Chemical Engineering graduate who was program recommended into the Naval Nuclear Engineering Program. They were going over a study guide for technical interviews and came across a problem involving plotting two functions and using integration to determine the area between them. The last part of the problem involved finding the volume of the region when rotated around the x-axis. The solution involves using the formula for the area of a washer and the difference between the outer and inner areas. The final volume is calculated using integration.
beuller34
Hi all. I am a recent Chemical Engineering graduate, and I recently was program recommended into the Naval Nuclear Engineering Program. While going over a study guide for my technical interviews coming up, I came across this problem, and my mind went blank! It goes something like this:

1. Plot both y=x^2 and y=x^3 on the same graph, but only to 1.
2. Determine the area inbetween both functions using integration.
3. Imagine this space inbetween the functions was rotated about the x-axis. What will the volume of this region be.

While both parts 1. and 2. are quite trivial, I couldn't seem to figure out the the last part of the problem! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The cross section you are interested in is a washer. Your inner radius is made by x^3, and your outer radius is made by x^2. The area is Pi*radius^2. So inner area is Pi*(x^3)^2, and outer area is Pi*(x^2)^2. The difference is the area you are interested in. A(x) = outer area - inner area = Pi*(x^4-x^6)

The volume of rotation around x-axis is V= int(A(x)dx,x,0,1) = (2*pi)/35

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the volume of a function rotating around an axis?

The volume of a function rotating around an axis can be determined using the method of cylindrical shells. This involves dividing the function into thin vertical slices, finding the surface area of each slice, and then integrating the surface area over the desired interval.

2. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a function rotating around an axis?

The formula for calculating the volume of a function rotating around an axis is V = ∫2πrh(x)dx, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the function and h(x) is the height of the function at a given point.

3. Can the volume of a function rotating around an axis be negative?

No, the volume of a function rotating around an axis cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies, and it cannot have a negative value.

4. How does the shape of the function affect the volume when rotating around an axis?

The shape of the function can greatly affect the volume when rotating around an axis. Functions with larger surface areas, such as cones or parabolas, will have greater volumes when rotated compared to functions with smaller surface areas, such as linear functions.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when calculating the volume of a function rotating around an axis?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when calculating the volume of a function rotating around an axis. For example, when the function intersects the axis of rotation, the volume will be equal to zero. Additionally, functions with negative values may require adjustments to the formula to ensure an accurate calculation of volume.