1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Thermal Coefficient of Binary Solvent Mixture

1. Feb 10, 2009 #1
    Hello,

Currently, I am working on a science project involving the creation of silica aerogels through the process of freeze-drying. As a result, i need to experiment with mixtures of solvents with low thermal expansion coefficients (so the crystallization of the solvents will not damage the aerogel matrix) However, i have hit a huge impediment.

While it is relatively simple to look up the thermal expansion coefficients for a given solvent,

how would one determine the thermal expansion coefficient for a mixture of solvents? (For example, the thermal expansion coef of a mixture of Tert Butanol and Propanol?)

Would the coefficient be nearly the same if the solvents were in solid state? (For they will be frozen, then sublimated)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    i would suggest finding dV/dT using thermodynamic relations. might get a bit hairy

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3
    Can you explain this method a bit more in depth?

Thanks

5. Feb 12, 2009 #4
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook