Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining uncertanity from the wave equation

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    How does one find out dx and dp from the wave equation?
    Appreciate ur help:)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2
    the wavefunction in momentum space is the fourier transform of the wavefunction in position space.
    therefore if the wavefunction is spread out in momenta space it is more concentrated in position space and Vice versa
    this is just the the property of a function and its fourier transform.
  4. Jan 13, 2008 #3
    yes I am aware of that but what i asked is how does one find the "uncertainity" in position and momentum FROM the wave eqn?
  5. Jan 13, 2008 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm assuming you meant the wave function rather than the wave equation. Wave equation usually refers to the differential equation, while the wave function is a solution to the wave equation.

It is difficult to answer your question because you did not reveal what you already know. Have you taken basic QM before?

For example, to get the value for [itex]\Delta x[/itex] from the wavefunction, you have to know the definition of it, which is

[tex]\Delta x = \sqrt{<x^2> - <x>^2}[/tex]

[tex]<x^2> = <\psi|x^2|\psi>[/tex]

etc, and [itex]\psi[/itex] is the wave function.

So that's how you get [itex]\Delta x[/itex] knowing the wavefunction. Similarly for the momentum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?