Determining velocity of objects after collision

In summary, the conversation discusses the collision of a projectile with a stationary target, with the projectile having a mass of m1 and initial velocity v1 in the -x direction. The collision is elastic and the final velocities of both the projectile and target can be determined using the Momentum Principle and the Energy Principle without approximations concerning their masses.
sikrut
"A projectile of mass m1 moving with speed v1 in the -x direction strikes a stationary target of mass m2 head-on. The collision is elastic. Use the Momentum Principle and the Energy Principle to determine the final velocities of the projectile and target, making no approximations concerning the masses. "

All I've gotten so far is that:

P1f + P2f = P1i + P2i

but v2i = 0 SO P2i = 0

am I on the right track? I'm pretty much lost at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
sikrut said:
All I've gotten so far is that:

P1f + P2f = P1i + P2i

but v2i = 0 SO P2i = 0

am I on the right track?

Yes, P2i = 0, go ahead. You have also conservation of energy.

ehild

1. What is the formula for determining velocity after a collision?

The formula for determining velocity after a collision is v = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 and m2 are the masses of the objects, and u1 and u2 are the initial velocities of the objects.

2. How do you calculate the mass of an object after a collision?

To calculate the mass of an object after a collision, you will need to know the initial and final velocities of the object, as well as the initial velocity and mass of the other object involved in the collision. Using the formula v = (m1u1 + m2u2)/(m1 + m2), you can rearrange it to solve for m2, the mass of the second object.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy. Inelastic collisions, on the other hand, result in a loss of kinetic energy due to the objects sticking together or deforming upon impact.

4. How does the angle of collision affect the velocity after a collision?

The angle of collision can affect the velocity after a collision by changing the direction of the final velocity. In a head-on collision, the final velocity will be in the same direction as the initial velocity. However, in an oblique collision, the final velocity will have both a magnitude and direction different from the initial velocity.

5. What are some real-life applications of determining velocity after a collision?

Determining velocity after a collision is important in many real-life scenarios, such as car accidents, sports collisions, and industrial accidents. It can also be used in engineering to design safer structures and in physics experiments to study the conservation of energy and momentum.