Is DeVry University Worth It? A Comprehensive Review and Analysis

• Schools
  • Thread starter Sphereic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, DeVry University is a technical school with a few degrees that are equivalent to a university. It is accredited and has a good reputation. However, it is not a good choice if you are looking for a college degree.
Sphereic
DeVry University??

You see Devry commercials all the time. Give your researched opinion. IS it worth going to, poor, or excellent?

I know they give associates degrees in Business and technology and even bachelors in engineering.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sphereic said:
You see Devry commercials all the time. Give your researched opinion. IS it worth going to, poor, or excellent?

I know they give associates degrees in Business and technology and even bachelors in engineering.

They don't give a bachelors in engineering...they give a bachelors in engineering technology! BIG difference.

It's a technical school, not a university. You'd probably pay less and get an equivalent or better education at a community college. There are jobs where that sort of training can be useful, and you can learn a skill you might not have been able to learn otherwise, but consider it training more than education. For example, if you want to work as a court stenographer, it's the sort of place you could learn stenography. If you want a job as a bookkeeper in an office (not an accountant, but bookkeeper), you can learn what you need there. You can probably learn enough about computers there to work user support, or enough about electronics to fix vending machines, etc. These are all useful skills for jobs that we need people to do, so it does serve a purpose in providing that sort of training if that's what you want or need. On the other hand, it will not make you competitive for jobs that require a college degree.

I'd strongly suggest comparing the cost of community college tuition with their tuition before making a final decision, unless they offer something your community college doesn't and that you need.

Moonbear said:
It's a technical school, not a university. You'd probably pay less and get an equivalent or better education at a community college. There are jobs where that sort of training can be useful, and you can learn a skill you might not have been able to learn otherwise, but consider it training more than education. For example, if you want to work as a court stenographer, it's the sort of place you could learn stenography. If you want a job as a bookkeeper in an office (not an accountant, but bookkeeper), you can learn what you need there. You can probably learn enough about computers there to work user support, or enough about electronics to fix vending machines, etc. These are all useful skills for jobs that we need people to do, so it does serve a purpose in providing that sort of training if that's what you want or need. On the other hand, it will not make you competitive for jobs that require a college degree.

I'd strongly suggest comparing the cost of community college tuition with their tuition before making a final decision, unless they offer something your community college doesn't and that you need.

I think they are accredited as a university. They offer master's degrees too. It is an online program, however.

I would agree that you should check out community colleges and then look into transferring to a more traditional university.

leright said:
I think they are accredited as a university. They offer master's degrees too. It is an online program, however.
Really? That must be somewhat recently changed then. They used to be the DeVry "Institute." I still wouldn't give their program any more credibility than a community college. I have known people who got university degrees and took a class or two at DeVry just to supplement their knowledge with some hands-on practical learning. For example, one was studying electrical engineering, and the program at the university was heavily theory based, but she didn't feel she got the practical, hands-on experience she wanted, so she took a couple summer courses on electronics just to see how the theory translated to practice. So, I'm not knocking it, just pointing out that you have to know what it really is and if it's going to be enough to suit your needs.

Well anyway it's accredited and gives you a bachelros in ELECTRONICS engineering. And yes they do provide masters.

I'm not asking you for advice, I'm asking you cause I've been there. Trust e it was not easy. Akthough I didn't finish I know enough to know it wasn't a community college. It's small and may have the look of a technical school or community college but I'd rank them with a fairly high ranking university.

Debry is not to be confused with ITT or UTI. WHile they do offer associates in technical trade skills most of theirs is bachelors in business and high end technology. I studyed and we had to do digital programming, electrical engineering , and Calculus. Further down the line they study Physics, and more complex electronic systems. If you're thinking of a vending machine no. A Devry graduate may also be on a drawing room making drafts of microchip components or yes DESIGNING a vending machine.

By ALL means it wasn't easy. They also offer degrees in Computer Information systems, Telecommunications and now even game design. I don't know of any community colleges giving degrees in game designing.

And yes when I went they were DeVry Institute. They were highly accredited gave bachelors then. My teachers and all other college graduates said it was a very good school.
Besies even MIT is an Institute.

Last edited:
From my personal experience, most* graduates from DeVry don't think for themselves. I'm now working for the tech support of an electronics company specializing in lcds and lcd controllers, etc. The stupidest questions which can be answered with either a basic knowledge of electronics or by the manual are usually from someone from DeVry. I'm still in high school and I can answer most of their questions. They show a lack of understanding of fundamental electronics knowledge. They don't understand how anything works.

MAYBE it has gotten better and these are the people who graduated 10 years ago or something. I don't know.

It may be hard, but you can make anything hard.

*By most I don't actually mean above 50% because I really don't have any statistics. heh...EDIT: Degrees in game design? You don't need a degree in game design to design games. It sounds a lot more like a trade school type of deal than a real degree to me.

Sphereic said:
Well anyway it's accredited and gives you a bachelros in ELECTRONICS engineering. And yes they do provide masters.

I'm not asking you for advice, I'm asking you cause I've been there. Trust e it was not easy. Akthough I didn't finish I know enough to know it wasn't a community college. It's small and may have the look of a technical school or community college but I'd rank them with a fairly high ranking university.

Debry is not to be confused with ITT or UTI. WHile they do offer associates in technical trade skills most of theirs is bachelors in business and high end technology. I studyed and we had to do digital programming, electrical engineering , and Calculus. Further down the line they study Physics, and more complex electronic systems. If you're thinking of a vending machine no. A Devry graduate may also be on a drawing room making drafts of microchip components or yes DESIGNING a vending machine.

By ALL means it wasn't easy. They also offer degrees in Computer Information systems, Telecommunications and now even game design. I don't know of any community colleges giving degrees in game designing.And yes when I went they were DeVry Institute. They were highly accredited gave bachelors then. My teachers and all other college graduates said it was a very good school.

they don't give BS degrees in engineering...they give BS degrees in engineering technology (less theoretical more hand-on)...there's a very big difference between the two. An engineering degree teaches you how to be an engineer whereas an engineering technology degree teaches you how to be a technician. However, the engineering technology degree offered by Devry is probably equilvalent in coursework to an ET program at any other university (most schools with engineering degrees also offer ET Degrees), and is probably fully accredited to provide an ET program...the accreditation for engineering is a lot different. I'm not knocking the ET track...we need skilled technicians that test the systems the engineers design, and the techs often even assist with the designs.

But compare the ET degree curriculum at any university with their engineering degree curriculum. You will see a lot more math, physics, and more theoretical engineering coursework. Pretty much every university offers an ET degree, but nowhere near as many offer "engineering" degrees. Also, check out ITT tech's degree programs...they don't offer engineering degrees.

Also, if you put "BS Electronics Engineering" on your resume then you are lying and that is grounds for termination if someone finds out after you are hired.

EVERY EE course ETs take is different than the EE courses EEs take...there is no overlap. Also, there's a different math sequence, and less math. In engineering classes every theorem is rigorously proved, whereas in the ET classes things are often handwaved or glossed over. I bet ETs get very little exposure to FTs and the more mathematical side of signal analysis, for instance.

I know people that were formerly in EE programs and switched to EET since they weren't good at or didn't care for the math and more abstract topics.

Last edited:
I just checked their website and all they offer is "engineering technology" degrees. If they ever told you (perhaps your advisor) on paper that you were getting an engineering degree, I would sue them immediately.

lol yah getting an "engineering technology" degree isn't what your looking for if you were interested in engineering.

If you would want to do engineering technology I would suggest just going to a technical school. Well I guess DeVry might be considered that as well.

Well that has a technical degree. It was called an ET for Engineering Technology and was an associates.. Then there was EET or Electronics Engineering Technology and was a bachelors. There was drafting and learning C which I doubt technicians do.

DP they make differently or can Electronics Engineers, and Electronics Engineering Technology graduates make the same?

Last edited:
Sphereic said:
Well that has a technical degree. It was called an ET for Engineering Technology and was an associates.. Then there was EET or Electronics Engineering Technology and was a bachelors. There was drafting and learning C which I doubt technicians do.

DP they make differently or can Electronics Engineers, and Electronics Engineering Technology graduates make the same?

Why don't you think technicians learn drafting and C? Those are pretty standard in an ET or EET curriculum. My point is there is a big difference between engineering and engineering tech (whether it's electrical/electronics or mech E or whatever). Look at the curriculum of ET and engineering at a school that offers both. The difference is night and day.

I am pretty sure the starting salary for technologists is a bit lower than that of engineers, but as time goes on the difference probably narrows.

Just out of curiosity...have you ever heard of a Fourier transform? What about transfer functions or the convolution theorem? LTI system theory? s-domain and frequency domain analysis? I am just curious what it is you covered...you may have heard these things before (they were probably mentioned in your courses since they are rather important concepts) but you might not have covered them with a ton of depth.

I am not knocking the technology degree...I don't see it as inferior to the engineering degree...they are just different scopes...one of theoretical and the other is hands-on. Many EE majors never even picked up a soldering iron before and really have a difficult time debugging a circuit...all of the engineer's work is done on a computer and a protoboard.

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea, here is circuits 1 and 2 for EEs compared to circ 1 and 2 for EETs at my school

EET circuits 1 and 2:

TEE 1023 - Circuits 1
Introduction to electrical and electronic fundamentals. Basic principles involved in DC circuits, study of networks with multiple sources of emf, the application of Thevenins and Nortons theorems, magnetic circuits, capacitance, inductance and transients in DC circuits.

TEE 2013 - Circuits 2
Basic principles involved in AC circuit analysis, phasors, series and parallel circuits, mesh and nodal analysis, network theorems, power, resonance, polyphase systems, and transformer.

EE Circuits 1 and 2

EEE 2114 - Circuits 1
Voltage current, power. Kirchoffs law, Ohms law, resistance independent and dependent sources, operational amplifiers. Formulation and solution of network equations, MathCAD, Spice, linearity and superposition, Thevenins theorems, maximum power transfer. Capacitance, inductance, mutual inductance. Sinusoidal steady state analysis, AC power, three phase systems. Transfer functions, frequency response, Bode diagrams, filters. First order transient responses. Lecture 4 hours.

EEE 3123 - Circuits 2
Ramp, step, and impulse functions. Second order transient responses, differential equations, transfer functions, convolution, impulse response. Laplace transforms, Fourier analysis, two-port networks.

I know those aren't very detailed descriptions and it appears they are similar courses, but I am pretty sure theorems are not rigorously proven in the EET courses, whereas they are rigorously proven in EE courses (from what the technology students tell me).

Last edited:
In engineering classes every theorem is rigorously proved

That's probably just a bit of an exaggeration. In the physics and math departments, maybe. But in the EE department?

I wouldn't say it is an exaggeration. Perhaps not every theorem, but I found that a lot of them were proven rigoriously. Some of our test involved proven certain theorems and then using them in a problem.

SO a EET with amasters, is he capable of doing an EE's work? There are not so great EEs and good EETs. Is it possible a EET could do an EEs work at a fundamental level. Nothtat it's the doorway to EE but if an EET worked with or around a EE could he watch and pickup knowledge and move up to an EE's position?

You're saying EE is somewhat harder and academic. IS there any chance an EET could do some primary or core Electronics Engineering?You say we don't overlap but I aksed the wuestion a year ago could a Physicist do an engineer's job and you all said certainly yes. Now physicists and engineers study the same topics but Science and Engineering are more than halfway different.

The quick answer is no, strictly from a legal standpoint. An electrical engineering degree is a professional degree that allows the holder to work as a professional engineer.

That being said, a lot of engineering graduates (most?) never get certified as professional engineers. On projects where public safety is an issue, their work would need to be reviewed by a professional engineer who would have to sign off on it, basically putting his reputation on the line.

Most of what I'm learning in my electrical engineering classes is not going to be directly applicable to any job I take after I graduate. No one is going to place a complex 3D circuit schematic in front of me and ask me to tell them the power being dissipated by resistor R79 with nothing more then a calculator, pen and paper. I'm also not going to be doing Fourier transforms by hand or calculating magnetic flux through a cylinder using Gausses law and triple integrals. I don’t expect that I’ll be designing too many full and half wave rectifiers using nothing but a few diodes, a transformer, and some resistors. All of this stuff is done on computers now and you don’t necessarily need to understand the underlying mathematics and physics in order to use the tools, but it doesn’t hurt either.

Basically what I’ve been told by engineering graduates who are working in industry is, completing an engineering degree shows an employer that you have the skills needed to learn how to be a real engineer from other engineers who have more experience. Based on this, I wouldn’t say it’s impossible to eventually be doing an EE’s job with an EET degree, but it would be unlikely. If you’re an engineering tech with several years experience, you’re going to be getting paid more money then a company could hire a recent EE graduate for. Factor in the costs of hiring someone to replace you (remember, you have a lot of skills that the company has become dependant on) and the fact that you could never be certified as a professional engineer and it’s unlikely a company would be willing to make that jump.

As others have said, engineers and engineering techs have very different skill sets, career paths, and career goals, there might be some overlap in industry, but they are still very different.

Last edited:
Wolf of the Ste said:
That's probably just a bit of an exaggeration. In the physics and math departments, maybe. But in the EE department?

It's not an exaggeration. Perhaps not every theorem, but the majority. This is just the difference between EE and EET.

Wow.. there's a lot of posturing and a lot of misinformation being spread in this thread.

Obviously, Sphereic, you only came here to shamelessly promote your school. That's fine, but you need to temper your rhetoric with a little fact. I really don't intend for this to become a DeVry-bashing session, but, well, you did ask for it.

leright is correct that DeVry does not offer real engineering degrees. He's also right that a degree in engineering technology does not qualify you even remotely for the same job as a genuine electrical engineer. Sorry to burst your bubble.

I studyed and we had to do digital programming, electrical engineering , and Calculus. Further down the line they study Physics, and more complex electronic systems. If you're thinking of a vending machine no. A Devry graduate may also be on a drawing room making drafts of microchip components or yes DESIGNING a vending machine.

Get real! Electrical engineers take a minimum of 3-4 physics classes, 4-5 calculus and differential equations classes, 3-4 programming classes, etc. Have you ever actually looked at the curriculum for EE at a major university? You may not realize it, but saying "we studied calculus" just makes your case seem weaker.

I'm a senior staff design engineer for a major integrated circuit manufacturer. Half of our employees hold advanced degrees from universities like Stanford and Cal. I have never met a single DeVry graduate in nearly ten years of experience in my field, and I can virtually promise you no one is going to hire a fresh DeVry grad into design engineering. With ten years of experience in other positions, it might not matter, but you will not initially be able to compete with candidates with bona fide engineering degrees from well-known universities. You can belly-ache all you want, but it's the truth. If you don't like it, go get a bona fide engineering degree from a well-known university. Also -- I just can't help picking on you -- no one uses drafting tables for designing integrated circuits anymore! Welcome to 1970!

Silliest quote of the thread. If you're actually trying to compare DeVry to MIT by pointing out they both have the word "Institute" in their names... well, I don't know how to respond with civility.

SO a EET with amasters, is he capable of doing an EE's work?

If two people attain the same master's degree from the same school, they're probably similarly qualified. That said, you'll have a very hard time getting into the same grad school with a DeVry degree.

Nothtat it's the doorway to EE but if an EET worked with or around a EE could he watch and pickup knowledge and move up to an EE's position?

Of course. Experience always trumps education in the end. Unfortunately, an EET degree from DeVry will be a 10-year handicap in pay and responsibility, as compared to your peers who hold EE degrees from well-known universities. That's just the cold, hard, honest truth.

I aksed the wuestion a year ago could a Physicist do an engineer's job and you all said certainly yes.

Well, I guess I didn't respond to that thread, but I'd have to say no -- physicists are not directly qualified to do any kind of engineering. Certainly they could probably pick it up pretty quickly, but they're not immediately qualified.

An electrical engineering degree is a professional degree that allows the holder to work as a professional engineer.

At least in the US, you must take and pass an additional exam to become a licensed professional engineer. Simply holding a bachelor's does not imply any kind of licensing.

- Warren

You may not realize it, but saying "we studied calculus" just makes your case seem weaker.
Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking. The capitalization of "calculus" didn't help either.

chroot, nicely said.

pwnt via internets.

I think he is coming to realize with his degree he won't be doing what he once thought he was going to do. Or he found out that EET's get paid very little compared to EE's.

Its like WOW this course work is so easy, I can't believe no one else went to DeVry and now you know.

Last edited:
chroot said:
Also -- I just can't help picking on you -- no one uses drafting tables for designing integrated circuits anymore! Welcome to 1970!

- Warren

lmao. funniest thing I have heard yet this week. :rofl:

kdinser said:
The quick answer is no, strictly from a legal standpoint. An electrical engineering degree is a professional degree that allows the holder to work as a professional engineer.

Sorry, I should have stated that as;
An electrical engineering degree is a degree that can lead to the title of professional engineer. My bad.

So he's an actual advisor from DeVRY trying to get students to go there? Or is he a distraught student?

thats so f'ed up hah makes me like them even less!

mr_coffee said:
So he's an actual advisor from DeVRY trying to get students to go there? Or is he a distraught student?

thats so f'ed up hah makes me like them even less!

Based on his posting history, he's a struggling student who's trying to make something of himself. That in itself is admirable, and I wish him the best. I want to make that clear. I'm only enforcing the ban because he created another account and began almost exactly the same discussion all over again, and we have guidelines...

- Warren

I know that this argument seems a bit old, However I can’t help but to throw in my two cents. I went to and graduated from Devry here in Columbus Ohio. I graduated with a BA in Computer engineering Technology (CET) program. This is an engineering degree to the fullest definition. The average starting salary of completing the (CET) program at Devry is 45K a year, is also in sink with comparisons to any BA computer engineering degree program offered at MIT. MIT has an average starting salary for a BA in computer engineering that is equivalent to Devry (45k a year). Devry is a very good school to go to and expensive, cost over 8k per trimester. Devry is not just a tech school, but is a full university. All credits taken at Devry are transferable to other universities unlike schools such as ITT, and should be worth noting. However, Devry use to be just a tech school much like ITT, but that was many years ago.

My point is this, You can get a full blown BA in computer engineering at Devry. I know a few people who have went through Devry who now work for Boeing, NASA, and in other prestigious fields. Thank you for you time.

Last edited:
According to salary.com, the average starting salary for computer engineers in the Columbus, OH area is almost $53k. I'd like to see references that state that the average starting salary for MIT CpE grads is only $45k/year, because I frankly don't believe a word of it.

A CET is not the same as a CpE degree, no matter how you'd like to spin it.

DeVry's CET curriculum is listed here:

http://www.devry.edu/cacatalog/index.jsp?catSelection=/cacatalog/xmlnode/cacatalog/cet_program.jsp

I notice a conspicuous absence of any higher math beyond basic calculus. Genuine engineering programs usually involve at least four or five classes beyond calculus. The lack of sophisticated math will handicap your exposure to theory in all later classes.

I also notice a lack of higher programming classes, like operating systems, comparative languages, etc.

Sorry.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, where to start?… First of all, you must understand that out of all courses offered in the CET program averages to be about 70% math, and that all courses are accelerated; meaning that most mathematic courses are combined with their related and real life computer theory courses along with lab (in most cases). It’s kind of hard to explain, but I will try the best I can. In most other universities, you spend two years taking the basic classes regardless of what you chosen degree is well before choosing your major, Writing, Physiology, History, ect… None that pertain to your chosen field, thus… a waste of time.

When you enroll into a—state recognized—bachelor degree program that is accelerated you must already possesses the required education that can supplement for the two years required. This is usually done at a local collage or high school. I’m not talking about typical high school education, I’m talking about advance Algebra, Calculus, Trig, ect…

If you try to enroll at Devry with a typical high school education, you will not be able to take the CET program along with most of their Bachelor degrees they offer. So, in a sense, the three year program is actually a five year program, four depending how smart you are.

Another thing you seem to fail to understand is that computer engineering related mathematics is totally different the your basic advance math courses offered at your typical collages. Not only do you need to be proficient in basic mathematics, but you need to understand how to apply and plug in different numbering systems such as to each branch of mathematics. Numbering systems such as binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal. Imagine trying to use the rules of simple addition to a totally different number system! A number system as most know it consists of 10 digits, but try a 16 digit code such as hexadecimal that not only use numbers, but letters as well such as adding 8F + 2A for instance. And that’s just one numbering system using addition for crying out loud. Now imagine trying to plug in a hexadecimal number into something as complicated as advance graphing, or trig? Maybe this is what you were referring to as “comparative languages” in your post.

The solo math courses that they do offer such as Algebra, Calculus, Trig, ect is not math 105 my friend, and those courses are designed around all the different numbering systems, not basic 10 digit code. In nearly each class, you apply math with a vengeance, I crunched numbers hours a day, every single day I went to that school, not just in the solo math courses.

As far as the references you are demanding here, I would suggest that you do your own research giving my time restraints. However, I was on top of those numbers while in school. I was able to find a year 2000 for the average salary for a BA at MIT. Please keep in mind, this is the average starting salary for all courses, not just Computer engineering courses. But the numbers paint a good picture of the realities at hand because the average starting salary for computer engineers has actually went down sinse the year 2000 do to outsourcing from countries such as India. Study it for your self.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2000/salary-0531.html

As far as the name of any Computer engineering course is concerned, I find that Ignorant of you to say the least. The reason I’m saying that is because each and every collage that offers a BA in computer engineering also has a different name for the degree… Pure ignorance on your part.

You may not like it, but I do know what the heck I’m talking about, after all, it’s my chosen field of study at the school your obviously wrong about. Don’t you think I would know? So don’t just sit their and spill your Bull%#$^ redirect on me because it won't work. It’s not like I’m trying to sell you something, or spin something on you. Quite frankly, you can be as ignorant as you want to be, all I was doing was speaking realities

Sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost forgot, Programming is something totally different then computer engineering., is totally different bread. Anyone with a “minimum” computer science related education knows this, like common knowledge. For programming, look at the CIT program.

Poolman said:
… Pure ignorance on your part.

You may not like it, but I do know what the heck I’m talking about, after all, it’s my chosen field of study at the school your obviously wrong about. Don’t you think I would know? So don’t just sit their and spill your Bull%#$^ redirect on me because it won't work. It’s not like I’m trying to sell you something, or spin something on you. Quite frankly, you can be as ignorant as you want to be, all I was doing was speaking realities

It's funny, because like 90% of what you have written is completely wrong and irrelevant. If you're going to be wrong, at least be nice about it!

Poolman said:
Another thing you seem to fail to understand is that computer engineering related mathematics is totally different the your basic advance math courses offered at your typical collages. Not only do you need to be proficient in basic mathematics, but you need to understand how to apply and plug in different numbering systems such as to each branch of mathematics. Numbering systems such as binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal. Imagine trying to use the rules of simple addition to a totally different number system! A number system as most know it consists of 10 digits, but try a 16 digit code such as hexadecimal that not only use numbers, but letters as well such as adding 8F + 2A for instance. And that’s just one numbering system using addition for crying out loud. Now imagine trying to plug in a hexadecimal number into something as complicated as advance graphing, or trig? Maybe this is what you were referring to as “comparative languages” in your post.

Are saying that doing maths is harder just because you're using another base system opposed to the decimal? You're making a fool of yourself lol:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . That's what I've done in my first semester in my Physics Engineering course in Digital Systems, like everyone of us do! lol!

Well, Poolman, this is hands-down the funniest post I've read in several months. I applaud you for your entertainment value.

Poolman said:
meaning that most mathematic courses are combined with their related and real life computer theory courses along with lab (in most cases).

Okay. In which class do you learn how to solve partial differential equations?

It’s kind of hard to explain, but I will try the best I can. In most other universities, you spend two years taking the basic classes regardless of what you chosen degree is well before choosing your major, Writing, Physiology, History, ect… None that pertain to your chosen field, thus… a waste of time.

Most decent universities can't actually pack a complete undergraduate engineering degree into two years, Most do not require engineering students to take two full years of humanities.

When you enroll into a—state recognized—bachelor degree program that is accelerated you must already possesses the required education that can supplement for the two years required. This is usually done at a local collage or high school. I’m not talking about typical high school education, I’m talking about advance Algebra, Calculus, Trig, ect…

Algebra II, Trig, and Calculus should be standard high-school fare for any student who expects to do well in a technical field. AP Calculus classes are offered in high schools all over the country.

If you try to enroll at Devry with a typical high school education, you will not be able to take the CET program along with most of their Bachelor degrees they offer. So, in a sense, the three year program is actually a five year program, four depending how smart you are.

Let me get this straight... DeVry's three-year program is actually a five-year program, if you include the other two years of classes you were supposed to have taken in high school. :confused:

Another thing you seem to fail to understand is that computer engineering related mathematics is totally different the your basic advance math courses offered at your typical collages.

Well, let's see here, kiddo. I hold a bachelor's of computer engineering from Virginia Tech, and am nearly done with a master's of electrical engineering at Stanford. I'm a senior staff integrated circuit design engineer for a billion-dollar company on the NASDAQ-100. And you're going to try to tell me about "engineering-related math?"

Not only do you need to be proficient in basic mathematics, but you need to understand how to apply and plug in different numbering systems such as to each branch of mathematics. Numbering systems such as binary, octal, decimal, hexadecimal.

Arithmetic bases should be taught at the beginning of an introductory computer engineering course. Generally, most classes expect students to completely master arithmetic in a couple of weeks. Representation of signed numbers and floating-point numbers should take another couple of weeks, and that's it.

Imagine trying to use the rules of simple addition to a totally different number system! A number system as most know it consists of 10 digits, but try a 16 digit code such as hexadecimal that not only use numbers, but letters as well such as adding 8F + 2A for instance.

If the hardest problems you've ever faced at DeVry involved adding hexadecimal numbers, you have completely cemented my belief that DeVry is a joke, and should not be respected in any way. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And that’s just one numbering system using addition for crying out loud. Now imagine trying to plug in a hexadecimal number into something as complicated as advance graphing, or trig?

Mathematics is exactly the same no matter what arithmetic base you use. Even arithmetic itself (addition and so on) is performed by hand using the same algorithms. There is absolutely nothing interesting, or difficult, about arithmetic. You don't realize it, but your attempt to impress us has failed miserably. You haven't learned any real math there at all.

It's as if you went to a school to study "rocket science," but all they managed to teach you was which way is up.

Maybe this is what you were referring to as “comparative languages” in your post.

No. Comparative language classes compare the features, syntax, and implementations of various different programming languages. They're usually taken after the student has mastered two or three languages already.

The solo math courses that they do offer such as Algebra, Calculus, Trig, ect is not math 105 my friend, and those courses are designed around all the different numbering systems, not basic 10 digit code. In nearly each class, you apply math with a vengeance, I crunched numbers hours a day, every single day I went to that school, not just in the solo math courses.

Wow, what a pathetic excuse for an education! Rather than actually learning any real math, all you did was algebra with numbers in different bases?

Do you know how to use linear algebra to solve simultaneous equations? Do you know what a linear transformation is, and what the terms 'kernel' and 'image' mean? Do you know how to perform differentiation under the integral sign to compute difficult integrals? Do you know how to get a Taylor expansion of a expression? Do you know to solve elementary ordinary differential equations by separation? Do you know what a 'generalized coordinate' is? Do you know how to find the Fourier transform of a discrete sequence? Do you know how to determine whether or not a linear system is stable? Do you know how to use the KVL and KCL to solve passive circuits? Do you know what the virtual short and virtual open principles are for op-amps? Do you know how to build a 2-to-1 multiplexer out of AND gates? Do you know how to write a priority encoder in Verilog? Do you know how to write an I2C slave in microcontroller firmware? Do you know how to write a keyboard ISR for the PC platform? Do you know what the model-view-controller pattern is? Do you know how to write a binary search? Do you know how to balance a red-black tree? Do you know which sort is best when your data set is nearly sorted already? Do you know which list data structures allow constant-time insertion?

These are all things I expect anyone who claims to have an education in computer engineering to know.

Please keep in mind, this is the average starting salary for all courses, not just Computer engineering courses.

Translation: The link you gave doesn't support your claim, it supports mine. Congratulations.

As far as the name of any Computer engineering course is concerned, I find that Ignorant of you to say the least. The reason I’m saying that is because each and every collage that offers a BA in computer engineering also has a different name for the degree… Pure ignorance on your part.

1) Learn how to spell college, for God's sake.
2) Computer engineering is a BS degree.

You may not like it, but I do know what the heck I’m talking about, after all, it’s my chosen field of study at the school your obviously wrong about. Don’t you think I would know? So don’t just sit their and spill your Bull%#$^ redirect on me because it won't work.

Of course it'll work. I know a hell of a lot more about this field than you do.

It’s not like I’m trying to sell you something, or spin something on you. Quite frankly, you can be as ignorant as you want to be, all I was doing was speaking realities

Of course you're trying to spin this. You're trying to convince me that DeVry is a good school because they made you do a lot of hexadecimal arithmetic. That happens to be completely laughable. Good show.

- Warren

Last edited:
Poolman said:

Here are a few examples of non-"math 105" required classes for EE majors:

1: Vector analysis, Fourier analysis, and partial differential equations (laplace, heat, wave).

2: Set Theory, Experiments, and Probability, Discrete Random variables, Continuous Random variables, Pairs of Random Variables, Random Vectors, Sum of Random variables, Sample Mean and Parameter Estimation, Hypothesis Testing, Introduction to stochastic processes.

Saying that Devry is harder because you did number crunching for hours on end doesn't mean much. When you are saying it is harder, you must be comparing it to something. So what are you comparing it to?

My goodness, I don’t think I have ever been bashed like this on a forum before. I would love to have a comeback with all of you, I just can’t keep up. I respond to one thing, and by the time I post it, I have 3 more replies. So… I’ll sum it up like this.

I was surfing the net and seen this post and had to stick up for this guy. All of you were running circles around him and you were dead wrong about your argument, pure ignorance on your part plane and simple. I can’t even believe what I’m reading here. The real argument, and the real question is, “Is the CET program at Devry offer a real Computer Engineering BA?” And the answer is yes.

Like it or not, those are the facts.

Sorry! I'm right and unbelievably your all wrong :)