1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalization questions

1. Jun 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1) Let's say I was trying to find the eigenvalues of a matrix and came up with the following characteristic polynomial:
    λ(λ-5)(λ+2)
    This would yield λ=0,5,-2 as eigenvalues. I'm kinda thrown off as to what the algebraic multiplicity of the eigenvalue 0 would be? I'm pretty sure it would just be 1 but I think I've misheard my instructor say otherwise during one example.

2) Let's say I have the following characteristic polynomial of matrix A.
    (λ-2)(λ-4)(λ-α), where α is any number.

If I were trying to figure out values of α that make A diagonalizable, it would be any values of alpha that makes that particular eigenvalue different from 2 or 4. What if λ-α=0 did make λ equal 2 or 4? Do I have to check the geometric multiplicities for λ=2,4, or can I automatically assume that the matrix would not be diagonalizable.

2. Relevant equations
    det(A-λI) = 0 where A is a matrix and λ are the eigenvalues A

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the algebraic multiplicity of 0 would be 1. Just like 5 and -2. There's nothing special about 0. And for the second one if alpha=2 then you need to check if there are two linearly independent eigenvectors for the value 2. There might be and there might not be.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook