Diameter of milky way is 1.0 *10^5 light years

In summary, a new member expresses their fear of physics and asks for help with a question. The group discusses the scale model of the Milky Way and Andromeda galaxies and the distance between the two in terms of light years and meters. They also mention the importance of using consistent units when working on physics problems.
lilydaisy15
hey guys, I'm new to physics .. and to be frank it seems scary. :-p
anyways i was wondering if anyone could help me with this:
The diameter of milky way is 1.0 *10^5 lightyears (ly). The distance to Andromeda is about 2.0 million ly. If a scale model represents the milky ways and andromeda galaxies as dinner plates 25 cm in diameter, determine the distance between the two plates.

thanks you guys!

Science news on Phys.org
The best way to overcoming your "fear" of physics is daring to express your own ideas!

So, what do YOU think is needed here?

I'll give you a clue to start you off, there are about 10^16 metres per light year.

colinr said:
I'll give you a clue to start you off, there are about 10^16 metres per light year.

I don't see how that helps at all!

lilydaisy15: your model is making 100000 ly correspond to 25 cm.
what would 2 million= 2000000 ly correspond to?

well don't you need to know how many metres are in a light year before you can think about how many 25 cm are in 2 million light years

well ok, you don't, but it is better to work in the same units for stuff like this when you're new to the subject

Related to Diameter of milky way is 1.0 *10^5 light years

1. How is the diameter of the Milky Way measured?

The diameter of the Milky Way is measured using various methods, including observing the positions and movements of stars and gas clouds, as well as studying the distribution of dark matter throughout the galaxy.

2. What is the significance of the Milky Way's diameter being 1.0 * 10^5 light years?

The Milky Way's diameter being 1.0 * 10^5 light years is significant because it gives us a sense of the size of our galaxy. This distance is equivalent to about 9.46 * 10^17 kilometers, which is an incredibly vast distance and helps us understand the sheer scale of our universe.

3. How does the Milky Way's diameter compare to other galaxies?

The Milky Way's diameter is considered to be a medium-sized galaxy, with some galaxies being much larger and others being smaller in size. However, it is estimated that the Milky Way's diameter is about 100,000 light years, which is similar to the diameter of the Andromeda galaxy.

4. Has the diameter of the Milky Way changed over time?

It is believed that the diameter of the Milky Way has remained relatively constant over time, although there is evidence that it has undergone some changes due to interactions with other galaxies. Scientists are constantly studying the Milky Way to better understand its evolution and any potential changes in its size over time.

5. How does the diameter of the Milky Way affect our understanding of the universe?

The diameter of the Milky Way is just one small piece of information that contributes to our overall understanding of the universe. By studying the size and structure of our galaxy, we can gain insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies in general. It also helps us understand our place in the universe and how we are connected to other galaxies and celestial bodies.