Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Dichotomize or not? Logistic vs Linear

1. Mar 25, 2017 #1
    Say I want to see if a continous variable, say strength, is associated with another continous variable, say height.

Clearly I can just use linear regression with height as the response variable and strength as the predictor variable.

But I can also split height into a tall category and a not tall category. And then do logistic regression with the log odds of height as the response. So what is the advantage of one way vs the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Do you want an estimate of the odds of being tall or do you want an estimate of the height?

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3
    I guess thats the confusing part. What should I do if I want to know if strength is in any way associated with weight generally?

If I do linear regression, I can interpret the change in mean height for unit increases in strength. But for the odds, I can do the change in odds of being tall for every unit increase in strength. But either way, wouldn't either give an association? If on average, height increases when strength increases, then I would be surprised if the odds didn't increase as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted