Material to resist punch-through by metal rods

DynV
TL;DR Summary: What would be the strongest material such pair of rods be able to punch through if the bottom of the rods was at 200 m from sea level and a platform with the strong material was at sea level, with 88,110 Kg on top of the rods?

The following is just for fun, it doesn't need to be precise, just not far off, eg < 20% off the precise answer. Although I assume the formula is at the intermediate level, I'm assuming the material is advanced level. Imagine you had 2 long rods of incredibly strong material, that weight almost nothing, and could not move from one another (as there was some super-strong magnetic field making one move when the other moved), which had the shape of the average men shoe separated and in the same placement as an average men would, what would be the strongest material such pair of rods be able to punch through if the bottom of the rods was at 200 m from sea level and a platform with the strong material was at sea level, with 88,110 Kg on top of the rods, eg 5 m of titanium?

I think the formula of such situation could be answered at intermediate level but to find out the material it would be advanced, hence me choosing the latter. This is about RoR-guy power : rigsofrods from which a video will soon be added as 2nd update and it would be nice to have the answer to this in that update.

Thank you for your consideration

Physics news on Phys.org
I THINK you're asking that if we have two weights of 88 metric tons fall from 200 meters, each hitting with the footprint of the average person's shoes, how far could it penetrate. Is that right?

Drakkith said:
I THINK you're asking that if we have two weights of 88 metric tons fall from 200 meters, each hitting with the footprint of the average person's shoes, how far could it penetrate. Is that right?
No a single weight and the rods cannot move apart from one another, they cannot spread apart neither taper, neither one being lower than the other if straight up.

So basically a 176 ton person falling from 200 meters.

That's about 345 MJ of kinetic energy packed into 200 cm2 of impact area. That's... a lot.

Drakkith said:
So basically a 176 ton person falling from 200 meters.
What?! 1 weight, 2 rods, look:
1_weight_2_rods.png

The weight is 88,110 Kg.

berkeman said:
So 97 tons according to an on-line calculator. So not so far off. And what about the weight of the rods? How much does that add?
Pretty much nothing
DynV said:
2 long rods of incredibly strong material, that weight almost nothing,

phinds said:
Pretty much nothing

• Haha
Likes phinds
DynV said:
What?! 1 weight, 2 rods,
My mistake. Just divide the energy in half to get 172.5 MJ and 5.5 million kg*m/s of momentum in 200 square centimeters. Still quite a lot. That's essentially 2 Panther tanks being dropped.

While I don't know the details of how to calculate exactly how far the two rods would penetrate various materials, I can certainly say it would penetrate through any thickness of concrete or steel you're likely to find out in your everyday life. You'd probably be looking at penetration somewhat comparable to bunker busting bombs, which, while much lighter, are traveling much faster. For comparison, a Disney Bomb, a large, bunker-busting bomb used in WW2, impacted with about 830,000 kg*m/s worth of momentum and 173 MJ of energy and was capable of penetrating at least 16 feet of concrete.

Drakkith said:
16 feet of concrete
reinforced?

DynV said:
reinforced?
No idea. The wiki page on the Disney bomb just says 16 feet of solid concrete.

The 2nd update mentioned in the OP is completed.

DynV said:
The 2nd update mentioned in the OP is completed.
Wakarimasen...

What materials are best suited to resist punch-through by metal rods?

Materials with high hardness and toughness are best suited to resist punch-through by metal rods. Hard ceramics like boron carbide or silicon carbide, ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMWPE), and composite materials reinforced with carbon or aramid fibers are commonly used for their excellent resistance to penetration and abrasion.

How does thickness of a material impact its ability to resist punch-through?

The thickness of a material significantly impacts its ability to resist punch-through. Generally, the thicker the material, the greater the resistance to penetration. This is because thicker materials can absorb and distribute the impacting force over a larger volume, reducing the stress at any single point.

Are there specific treatments or coatings that can enhance a material's resistance to metal rods?

Yes, various treatments and coatings can enhance a material's resistance to penetration by metal rods. For metals, heat treatments can increase hardness and strength. Coatings such as ceramic layers or hard carbides can also provide an additional layer of protection by increasing surface hardness and reducing material wear.

What role does material flexibility play in resisting punch-through?

Material flexibility can play a crucial role in resisting punch-through. Flexible materials can absorb and dissipate impact energy more effectively than brittle materials, which might crack or shatter under force. Materials that can deform elastically will likely endure the impact better and prevent or delay the penetration of metal rods.

How can structural design be optimized to improve resistance to punch-through?

Structural design can be optimized to improve resistance to punch-through by incorporating geometries that distribute stresses and deflect penetrative forces. Design strategies such as layering materials with different properties, using honeycomb structures, or corrugation can enhance the impact resistance of a structure. Additionally, focusing on joint integrity and the avoidance of stress concentrations can also significantly bolster resistance.