Did i prooved this convergense corretly

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
In summary: So if someone says, can you make it smaller than 0.1, what is your N?In summary, the conversation was about proving the convergence of a given sequence. The person was asked if their method was correct and they responded by providing a proof using epsilon and N values. There was some confusion about the value of N and its relation to n. The correct way to approach the proof is to think of it as a dialogue between two people, where one person supplies an epsilon and the other supplies a calculated N value.
transgalactic
i was needed to prove the convergence of the following sequence

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2353/img9143qb3.jpg

is it correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check that it works. For example, if epsilon = .01 is given, what is N? And will (n - 1)/n^2 be less than epsilon?

if e=0.1
means n>10
N=11

19/400<0.1

so its correct
but does my way of solving is correct regarding formality??

transgalactic said:
if e=0.1
means n>10
N=11

19/400<0.1

so its correct
but does my way of solving is correct regarding formality??

Your inequality above uses N = 20, not N = 11. Does it work for N = 11?

As far as your proof is concerned, you have a lot of extra stuff in it that you don't need, but there are some things that you don't have that you should have.

The idea of this type of proof is that, given any positive number epsilon, you tell the reader a number N, so that for all n > N, |f(x) - L| < epsilon. After you have solved for n in terms of epsilon, you should say "Take N = <whatever you found>"

N is the smallest number of steps for which |An-0|<e
n>10
n should be bigger n>N

why N=20

N should be smaller then N
??

The only mistake i can see is that you haven't fixed epsilon to take strictly positive arguments.
Suppose you took a negative value..then your in-equality wouldn't hold.

so for e=0.1

n>10

whats the possible values for N?

as i can see it can take any of this values N=0 ,1,2..10

transgalactic said:
N is the smallest number of steps for which |An-0|<e
n>10
n should be bigger n>N

why N=20
That was my question. You said N = 11, but then used 20.
transgalactic said:
N should be smaller then N
??

N can't possibly be smaller than N

i meant
n can't possibly be smaller than N

transgalactic said:
so for e=0.1

n>10

whats the possible values for N?

as i can see it can take any of this values N=0 ,1,2..10

I don't think you're getting it. Think of the proof as a dialog between two people.

You: lim (n - 1)/n^2 = 0, as n approaches infinity.
Me: Oh, yeah? Prove it.
You: I can make (n -1)/n^2 as close to zero as you like.
Me: OK, can you get it smaller than 1/10.
You: Yes. Take N = 10. a_11 = 10/11^2 = 10/121 < 0.1. And all of the other terms in the sequence, a_12, a_13, etc. are even smaller. Are you satisfied?
Me: Well, 1/10 isn't really that small. Can you make (n - 1)/n^2 smaller than .001?
You: Sure, take N = ...

Do you see how this works? Someone supplies an epsilon, and you supply a number N, that is calculated from that epsilon.

1. How can I be sure that I have proved the convergence correctly?

The best way to ensure that your proof of convergence is correct is to double check all of your steps and calculations. Make sure that you have followed the proper rules and methods for proving convergence, and also consider having a colleague or mentor review your proof for any potential errors.

2. What are the key elements that must be included in a proof of convergence?

A proof of convergence must include a clear explanation of the limit or limits being considered, as well as the approach or method used to prove that the limit exists. It must also show all intermediate steps and calculations, and conclude with a statement that the limit has been proven to exist.

3. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when proving convergence?

One common mistake when proving convergence is assuming that a limit exists without actually proving it. It is important to show all steps and calculations, and not skip any important details. It is also important to be careful with algebra and arithmetic, as simple errors in calculations can lead to incorrect conclusions.

4. How can I improve my skills in proving convergence?

The best way to improve your skills in proving convergence is to practice regularly. Start with simple examples and work your way up to more complex ones. You can also read proofs by other mathematicians and try to understand their methods and techniques. Seeking feedback from colleagues and mentors can also help you identify areas for improvement.

5. Can a proof of convergence ever be considered "perfect"?

While a proof of convergence can be considered correct, it is not necessarily "perfect" as there can always be room for improvement or alternative methods. Mathematics is a constantly evolving field, and there may be new techniques or approaches that can be used to prove convergence in the future. However, as long as a proof is logically sound and follows all necessary steps, it can be considered a valid proof of convergence.