1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did the book misprint or am I doing something wrong?

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    this is the question
    find the volume of solid under the graph f(x,y) = x+ y above the region y^2 > x and 0 < x < 9

So pretty much I have the following integral set up

0 -> 9 dx
    -sqrt(X) -> sqrt (X) dy
    integrating over the function x+y

However, when I look at the solutions they did the same thing except for their dy, they took it over
    0 -> sqrt (X)

is that a misprint or did I do something wrong? Because when I think about it, it's pretty much a parabola and nothing is restricting it from taking each end of the region

Where as the solutions is only taking half the parabola (from 0 to 9 along X axis which is agreed)

so is the solutions a misprint or did I do something wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Unfortunately, it's hard to tell exactly what was intended since you are clearly not copying exactly what the problem said: "the region y^2> x and 0< x< 9" makes no sense. Perhaps they said "the region bounded by y^2= x, x> 0, x< 9"? Or did they possibly say "in the first quadrant"?
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3
    sorry it's

Find the volume of the region under the graph f(x,y)= x+y and above the region y^2 < x , 0 < x < 9

that is all they say
  5. Apr 21, 2008 #4
    If 0<x<9, then 0<y<3,
    so integrate in these limits (x+y) dx dy = 162
  6. Apr 21, 2008 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

No. You are ignoring that the y limits are a function of x.

That suggests a misprint or a misreading. Are you sure the problem doesn't say "above the region y^2 < x"? Even then, the y-integral should be from [itex]-\surd x[/itex] to [itex]\surd x[/itex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?