Did the book misprint or am I doing something wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume of a solid under the graph of f(x,y) = x+y above the region y^2 > x and 0 < x < 9. There is confusion about the limits of integration, with one person suggesting to integrate from -√x to √x and the other suggesting from 0 to √x. It is unclear if this is a misprint or a misunderstanding of the problem. The final answer is found to be 162.
kyin01
this is the question
find the volume of solid under the graph f(x,y) = x+ y above the region y^2 > x and 0 < x < 9

So pretty much I have the following integral set up

0 -> 9 dx
-sqrt(X) -> sqrt (X) dy
integrating over the function x+y

However, when I look at the solutions they did the same thing except for their dy, they took it over
0 -> sqrt (X)

is that a misprint or did I do something wrong? Because when I think about it, it's pretty much a parabola and nothing is restricting it from taking each end of the region

Where as the solutions is only taking half the parabola (from 0 to 9 along X axis which is agreed)

so is the solutions a misprint or did I do something wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it's hard to tell exactly what was intended since you are clearly not copying exactly what the problem said: "the region y^2> x and 0< x< 9" makes no sense. Perhaps they said "the region bounded by y^2= x, x> 0, x< 9"? Or did they possibly say "in the first quadrant"?

sorry it's

Find the volume of the region under the graph f(x,y)= x+y and above the region y^2 < x , 0 < x < 9

that is all they say

If 0<x<9, then 0<y<3,
so integrate in these limits (x+y) dx dy = 162

Roberto Bramb said:
If 0<x<9, then 0<y<3,
so integrate in these limits (x+y) dx dy = 162
No. You are ignoring that the y limits are a function of x.

kyin01 said:
However, when I look at the solutions they did the same thing except for their dy, they took it over 0 -> sqrt (X)

That suggests a misprint or a misreading. Are you sure the problem doesn't say "above the region y^2 < x"? Even then, the y-integral should be from [itex]-\surd x[/itex] to [itex]\surd x[/itex].

1. Did the book actually misprint or am I just misunderstanding?

This is a common question when encountering a potential misprint in a book. It is important to carefully review the text and compare it with other sources or editions of the book before assuming it is a misprint. It is also possible that the author intended for the text to be written in a certain way or that there is a formatting or printing error.

2. How can I be sure that it is a misprint and not intentional?

If you suspect a misprint, it is best to check with the publisher or editor of the book to confirm. They may be able to provide an explanation or even a corrected version of the book. You can also seek out other editions or versions of the book to compare and see if the text is consistent.

3. Should I report the misprint or just ignore it?

If you are using the book for academic or professional purposes, it is important to report any potential misprints to the publisher or editor. This allows them to correct the error and ensure that future editions of the book are accurate. If you are using the book for personal reading, it is up to your discretion whether to report the misprint or simply ignore it.

4. Can misprints affect the overall accuracy of the book?

In some cases, a misprint can significantly impact the accuracy of a book. This is especially true for textbooks or scientific literature where precise information is crucial. It is important to carefully review the text and consult with other sources to ensure the overall accuracy of the book.

5. How can I prevent misprints from affecting my understanding of the book?

If you encounter a misprint, it is important to take note of it and seek clarification from the publisher or editor if needed. You can also consult with other sources or experts in the field to ensure your understanding is accurate. It is also helpful to carefully proofread and fact-check when using the book for academic or professional purposes.