1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integrals, trying to be sure I am not doing something wrong

1. May 12, 2013 #1
    1. evaluate the following:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y dydx

3. The attempt at a solution

OK, so this should be pretty simple. But for some reason I am having trouble integrating the yex+y bit with respect to y. If I do it by parts I end up with iterations like this:

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - [itex]\int^{}_{}[/itex]ex+yxdy dx

And integrating again I got

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xyex+y - ex+yx [itex]|^{1}_{0}[/itex] dx

plugging in the relevant values I got

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xex+1-xex+1 - xex + xexdx

which with the latter terms cancelling gets you

[itex]\int^{1}_{0}[/itex]xex+1-xex+1 dx

And the whole thing should go to zero.

OK, did I do this whole bit correctly? I want to make sure that I am not doing something stupid. If I did it right, wonderful. (I know this might sound kind of silly to post a problem that I think I did correctly, but it never hurts to have another pair of eyes)

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have time to run through your work right now, but surely something is wrong since your integrand is positive. You must have a positive result. Why don't you try writing ##e^{x+y} = e^xe^y## and separate the integrals. Really easy then.

4. May 12, 2013 #3
    You're correct up to here. After here is where your solution diverges from correct solution.

P.S. It may be helpful in the future to check computationally:

5. May 12, 2013 #4
    Thanks, I did it again and I realized I forgot the y component. D'OH!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted