Diff eq: I dont understand my prof's comments. Here is my work.

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date
So I had an exam and got this problem wrong, that I had done incorrectly on the quiz as well. comments in red under picture are comments from professor.

here is the work:
prob1text.jpg

Attempt)
prob1attempt.jpg

Why is this general solution? What is the fundamental set? What is yp? (this should be verified)

So on the exam, in addition to what I did, I should of found the first, second, and third derivatives of each y1,2,3 and then separately substitute them into the non homogeneous eqn to check for validity?

And uh, WOW. I could of sworn I wrote out yp.. So if write yp=2x-12x2ex that would satisfy that part right?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

rock.freak667
Homework Helper
I think your professor wanted you to start with the differential equation and work to get the general solution rather than substituting the equation they gave you into the DE.

You found y1, y2 and y3, but did not identify yp.

You showed that y1, y2 and y3 are linearly independent, but you did not show that each one is a particular solution to the homogeneous equation.

Finally, you should have shown that yp is the particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation.

I think your professor wanted you to start with the differential equation and work to get the general solution rather than substituting the equation they gave you into the DE.
Ok thanks!

1.)You found y1, y2 and y3, but did not identify yp.

2.)You showed that y1, y2 and y3 are linearly independent, but you did not show that each one is a particular solution to the homogeneous equation.

3.)Finally, you should have shown that yp is the particular solution to the non-homogeneous equation.
So maybe like this?
prob1correction.jpg