1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

2nd order diff eq, 3 dim. and wierd boundry condition

1. Mar 20, 2010 #1
    I need help. For the following problem, can someone suggest how I should start on this question. I only have one quarter of diff eq classes plus a few classes in fourier analysis. I'm out of my league.

Consider a box with length, width and height given by L. The box encompasses the region
    described by 0<=x<=L, 0<=y<=L, and 0<=z<=L. A scalar field inside the box satisfies the
    differential equation:

∇^2 ψ = −aψ

Here a is a positive constant that is equal to 30/L2.
    The field is 0 on the surfaces y=0, y=L, x=0, x=L and finally the surface z=L.
    On the surface z=0, the field has the functional form:

ψ(x, y) = ( 1-|x-2/L|*2/L)(1- |x-2/L|*2/L)

Solve for ψ as a function of x, y, and z inside the box. Your final solution must be
    an analytic expression, though it can involve an infinite sum.

What I don't understand is that ψ is time-independant wave, correct? and if so, how do I solve this when the boundry on one face is clearly not a wave. Please point me in the right direction to figure out how to do this. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: help? pls. point me in the right direction

Well, this isn't a wave equation since it doesn't involve t.

Have you tried separation of variables: [itex]\Psi(x,y,z) = X(x)Y(y)Z(z)[/itex]?

4. Mar 21, 2010 #3
    Is that not a Helmholtz equation, and is a Helmholtz not a time-independant wave?

5. Mar 21, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it is. And apparently it is referred to as a wave equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook