How Do I Normalize a Quantum Mechanics Equation With an Integral?

• Thread starter Marthius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diffeq
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of normalizing a function in preparation for a quantum mechanics class. The function in question is P(x)=Ae^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}}, and the integral \int e^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}} is needed for normalization. However, the indefinite integral is impossible to calculate in terms of elementary functions, so the error function is used instead. The conversation also covers the use of tables of integrals and the difference between definite and indefinite integrals. Ultimately, the correct normalization for the function is found to be erf(x-a)/\lambda.
Marthius
I am starting to teach myself quantum mech. in preperation for this coming semester, however i have hit a mathamatical road block. I need to normalize the folowing equation.

[tex]P(x)=Ae^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}}[/tex]

Unfortunatly I do not take DiffEQ until this coming semester and I don't know how to take the following integral.

[tex]\int e^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated (yes, I know that i should have taken DiffEQ before this...).

Physics news on Phys.org
Marthius said:
I am starting to teach myself quantum mech. in preperation for this coming semester, however i have hit a mathamatical road block. I need to normalize the folowing equation.

[tex]P(x)=Ae^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}}[/tex]

Unfortunatly I do not take DiffEQ until this coming semester and I don't know how to take the following integral.

[tex]\int e^{-\lambda(x-a)^{2}}[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated (yes, I know that i should have taken DiffEQ before this...).

You may not like my answer: That integral is
[tex]\frac{A\sqrt{\pi}}{2}erf(x-a)+ C[/tex]
where "erf(x)" is the error function. It is defined by
[tex]erf(x)= \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

You have to understand that most integrable functions (in a technical sense "almost all integrable functions") cannot be integrated in terms of "elementary" functions- the kind that you learn about in basic algebra or calculus courses. That integral, which is used extensively in probability and statistics calculations is one such.

Thanks for the answer, unfortunatly now i am more confused then ever. Given that as the integral of the function, how do i go about normalizing the function with A. Should i be ignoring the error function since no numerical values were given in the problem?

That indefinite integral is impossible to calculate in terms of elementary functions. However, since you're normalizing a wavefunction, you don't need the indefinite integral, but only the definite. I assume that at least one of your limits is infinity...

Like somebody else said... The mathematically rigorous way of going about it is to look into the error function. If you don't have too much experience with special functions, then there is an easy fix: Look at a table of integrals in the back of your quantum book! Virtually all quantum mechanics books have a short table of definite/indefinite integrals. Your integral should be in there in one form or another... You will more than likely need to use an elementary substitution.

Well, what do YOU mean by "normalizing" a function? While that anti-derivative cannot be done in "closed form" it turns out to be relatively easy to show that
[tex]\int_a^\infty e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dz= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2\lambda}[/tex]
That was the reason for the "[itex]2/\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]" in the definition of erf(x). If I understand what you mean by "normalization" correctly, [itex]erf(x- a)/\lambda[/itex] is the normalization of your function.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, what do YOU mean by "normalizing" a function? While that anti-derivative cannot be done in "closed form" it turns out to be relatively easy to show that
[tex]\int_a^\infty e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dz= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2\lambda}[/tex]
That was the reason for the "[itex]2/\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]" in the definition of erf(x). If I understand what you mean by "normalization" correctly, [itex]erf(x- a)/\lambda[/itex] is the normalization of your function.

As it turns out, since I last posted this problem i have been able to solve my question. What you said here is exactly what I mean (withought realizing it). Thanks for the help.

would I be correct in saying

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-\lambda(x-a)^2}dz= \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{\lambda}}[/tex]

Yep, that's what you should get. Do you mean dz or dx?

slider142 said:
Yep, that's what you should get. Do you mean dz or dx?

i meant dx, z was just the substitution var I used, was an accident.

1. What does "Normalize DiffEQ Equation" mean?

The process of normalizing a differential equation involves rewriting it in a standardized form, typically by dividing all terms by the coefficient of the highest order derivative. This makes it easier to solve and compare with other equations.

2. Why is integral help needed to normalize a differential equation?

Integrals are used to find solutions to differential equations, so they are crucial for normalizing the equation. They help to reduce the complexity of the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. What is the purpose of normalizing a differential equation?

The purpose of normalizing a differential equation is to simplify it and make it easier to solve. It also allows for easier comparison with other equations and helps to identify patterns and relationships between different equations.

4. Can any differential equation be normalized?

Yes, any differential equation can be normalized, but the process may vary depending on the specific equation. Some equations may require more complex techniques to be normalized.

5. How does normalizing a differential equation affect the solution?

Normalizing a differential equation does not change the solution, but it makes it easier to find and understand. It also helps to identify any patterns or relationships between different equations and their solutions.