I am revisiting the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics with the dimensional (MLT) perspective

In summary, the conversation discusses the dimensions of elements in Hilbert space and how they relate to quantum mechanics. The poster is revisiting the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics with a dimensional perspective and is interested in the role of high school dimensional analysis. They are struggling to reconcile the dimensions of the various elements, such as the state vector and the wavefunction, in the context of rigged Hilbert space. They also mention the concept of dual vector space and how it relates to dimensions.
Ravi Mohan
TL;DR Summary
Quick basics revision
Hi Fellas! My first post after a long hiatus from forums. Feeling nostalgia (this is the place where it all began, my fuel for quantum fascination so to speak).

I am revisiting the mathematical formulation of quantum mechanics with the dimensional (MLT) perspective. I want to understand what are the dimensions of Hilbert space elements, within the context of quantum mechanics. I was thinking of the elements as dimensionless but am stuck in the logical reasoning.

Consider an element of (rigged?) Hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## with operators having continuous spectral decomposition, in the sense the insertion or completeness is represented by
$$\hat{\mathbb{1}} = \int dx|x\rangle\langle x|,$$
were ##x## is continuous and all those usual gory specifications.
I am interested in knowing the role of high school dimensional analysis played here. For that I consider a unit norm state vector ##|\Psi\rangle##. According to the premise I started with, ##|\Psi\rangle## should have the dimensions of ##[M^0L^0T^0I^0\Theta^0J^0]## (symbols have usual meaning).

Now I start the quantum gymnastics
\begin{align}
|\Psi\rangle &= \hat{\mathbb{1}}|\Psi\rangle \\
&= \int dx|x\rangle\langle x| \cdot |\Psi\rangle\\
&= \int dx \psi(x)|x\rangle

\end{align}
I see no issue in first equation because ##|\Psi\rangle## and ##\hat{\mathbb{1}}## are dimensionless.
In second equation, I don't know how to distribute dimensions. My common sense senses that since ##\psi(x)## is to be interpreted as "wavefunction" its units need be ##L^{-0.5}##. But then the inner product looses its value, in the sense that ##\psi(x) = \langle x|\Psi\rangle## where ##|\Psi\rangle## and the element of dual vector space ##\langle x|## are supposed to be dimensionless. How do I reconcile?

Maybe it is nothing, and maybe I need jolting back to undergrad, a little lesson in dimensional analysis should be helpful!
Thanks!

H

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your argument suggests that ##|\Psi>## has no physical dimension.
[tex]<\Psi|\Psi>=1[/tex] when normalized. Do you have an uneasiness with it ?

Are you suggesting dual vector space has inverse dimensions?

No, both ##<\Psi|## and ##|\Psi>## have no dimension.

And what about ##\psi(x)##?

##L^{-1/2}## as you said because <x| has dimension ##L^{-1/2}##.
[tex]\int |x>dx<x|=1[/tex] corresponding
[tex]L^{-1/2} L^1 L^{-1/2} =L^0=1[/tex]

[EDIT]
Above is 1 D case. ##|\psi|^2## is probability density per unit length which has dimension ##L^{-1}##.
For 3D case
[tex]\int\int\int |\psi|^2 dxdydz=1[/tex] and ##|\psi|^2## is probability density per unit volume which has dimension ##L^{-3}##.

Last edited:
So you are suggesting ##\langle x|##, and element of the dual of same hilbert space ##\mathcal{H}## is now equipped with some dimension?

For clarity ##|\Psi\rangle, |x\rangle \in\mathcal{H}##.

Or maybe, something like
$$\int_{x}^{x+dx} dx|x\rangle\in \mathcal{H}.$$

But yeah, no.

<x| ,|x> have dimension ##L^{-1/2}##
<p|, |p> have dimension ## [ML/T] ^ {-1/2}## or so.
They do not belong to ordinally Hilbert Space as you said in OP.

For confirmation
[tex]<x|x'>=\delta(x-x')[/tex]
has dimension ##L^{-1}## because
[tex]\int \delta(x-x')dx'=1[/tex]
corresponding
[tex]L^{-1}L^1=L^0[/tex]

Yeah so what is it?
About the rigged Hilbert space that I need more understanding on?
I don't see any reconciliation, yet!

Well there is a particular reason for me to post here. Reading vague literature is not my cup of tea, anymore ...

Last edited:
Both ##<\Psi|## and ##|\Psi>## have no dimension.
Inner product ##<\Psi|\Psi>## has no dimension. Value 1 when normalized.

Both ##<x|## and ##|x>## have dimension ##L^{-1/2}##.
Inner product ##<x|x'>=\delta(x-x')## has dimension ##L^{-1}##.

##\psi(x)=<x|\Psi>##
##\psi^*(x)=<\Psi|x>## so from the above
Both ##\psi(x)## and ##\psi^*(x)## have dimension ##L^{-1/2}##.
Component product ##\psi(x)\psi^*(x)## has dimension ##L^{-1}##.
Inner product ## \int \psi(x)\psi^*(x) dx## has no dimension, Value 1 when normalized.

Do you find any problems on the above ?

Last edited:
Moderator's note: Thread level changed to "I". This is not "B" level material.

anuttarasammyak said:
Do you find any problems on the above ?
NO

Likes anuttarasammyak

1. What is the dimensional (MLT) perspective in quantum mechanics?

The dimensional (MLT) perspective in quantum mechanics is a mathematical formulation that incorporates the fundamental physical dimensions of mass (M), length (L), and time (T) into the equations. This approach allows for a more intuitive understanding of the physical quantities involved in quantum mechanics and can help to identify any inconsistencies or errors in the calculations.

2. Why is the dimensional (MLT) perspective important in quantum mechanics?

The dimensional (MLT) perspective is important in quantum mechanics because it provides a more comprehensive and accurate representation of the physical world. By incorporating the fundamental dimensions, it allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and can help to identify any potential flaws in the theory.

3. How does the dimensional (MLT) perspective affect the equations in quantum mechanics?

The dimensional (MLT) perspective affects the equations in quantum mechanics by adding physical units to the variables and constants. This can help to clarify the meaning and significance of each term and can also aid in the process of dimensional analysis, which is important in verifying the correctness of the equations.

4. What are the benefits of using the dimensional (MLT) perspective in quantum mechanics?

Using the dimensional (MLT) perspective in quantum mechanics has several benefits. It can provide a more intuitive understanding of the physical quantities involved, help to identify any errors or inconsistencies, and allow for more accurate calculations. It can also aid in the development of new theories and models by providing a clearer framework for understanding the underlying principles.

5. Are there any limitations to the dimensional (MLT) perspective in quantum mechanics?

While the dimensional (MLT) perspective can be a useful tool in understanding and formulating quantum mechanics, it does have limitations. It may not be applicable in certain scenarios, such as when dealing with non-physical quantities or in theories that do not involve the fundamental dimensions. Additionally, it may not provide a complete understanding of the complex phenomena involved in quantum mechanics and should be used in conjunction with other approaches and perspectives.