How do I correctly use differentiation operators in equations?

• Thread starter caljuice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion around using differentiation operators, specifically dy/dx and d/dx, in equations and word problems. The speaker learns that differentiation operators mean finding the derivative and that they are not regular fractions. Examples are given to illustrate finding the derivative using differentiation operators.
caljuice
Hey. I am pretty confused on how to use differentation operators (dy/dx,d/dx), what does it mean in equations and how do I know when it means i should find the derivative of something. Word problems are confusing me on how to use these and when to find derivatives. I always thought differentation operators mean find the derivative.

Like to find velocity, i get it by v=dx/dt of the position a function. And finding the derivative of the position function gives me the velocity function.
s(position)=(t^3)-(6t^2)+9t

so to find V, I:
v=(ds/dt)=3t^2-12t+9

But in another example, even though i have differentation operators, i don't seem to need to find the derivative...

V=5.3/P, where v is volume and p is pressure. Find the rate of change of V with respect to P when P is 50 kpa.

(dv/dp)=-5.3/(p^2)
=-5.3/25000=-0.00212

Sorry if I'm unclear. Basically I guess, I'm asking how to use differentation operators and when i should find the derivative when they are present in an equation.

Physics news on Phys.org
caljuice said:
Hey. I am pretty confused on how to use differentation operators (dy/dx,d/dx), what does it mean in equations and how do I know when it means i should find the derivative of something. Word problems are confusing me on how to use these and when to find derivatives. I always thought differentation operators mean find the derivative.

Like to find velocity, i get it by v=dx/dt of the position a function. And finding the derivative of the position function gives me the velocity function.
s(position)=(t^3)-(6t^2)+9t

so to find V, I:
v=(ds/dt)=3t^2-12t+9

But in another example, even though i have differentation operators, i don't seem to need to find the derivative...

V=5.3/P, where v is volume and p is pressure. Find the rate of change of V with respect to P when P is 50 kpa.

(dv/dp)=-5.3/(p^2)
=-5.3/25000=-0.00212

Sorry if I'm unclear. Basically I guess, I'm asking how to use differentation operators and when i should find the derivative when they are present in an equation.
I don't understand your second example. You say "But in another example, even though i have differentation operators, i don't seem to need to find the derivative...", but you certainly did find the derivative! You seem to know perfectly well how to use the differentiation operators (your spelling of "differentiation" could use some work!) and I can only say "find the derivative when you are asked to find it!", as you are in both of these examples.

Can you give an actual example in which there is a differentiation operator but you don't have to differentiate? Perhaps you are thinking of a situation where you are given the derivative of a function and asked to find the derivative (i.e. anti-derivative)?

oops my bad. I'm embarassed. I see the second example is actually the quotient rule now. Got confused over nothing.
I kept thinking dv/dp meant v divide by P.
Which also gave (5.3/p)/p = 5.3/P^2?
So differentiation operators do mean find the derivative. I keep thinking differentiation operators as regular fractions.Thanks, and I can spell differentiation now.

caljuice said:
oops my bad. I'm embarassed. I see the second example is actually the quotient rule now. Got confused over nothing.
I kept thinking dv/dp meant v divide by P.
Which also gave (5.3/p)/p = 5.3/P^2?
So differentiation operators do mean find the derivative. I keep thinking differentiation operators as regular fractions.Thanks, and I can spell differentiation now.

You see, this the problem with the internet. If you were sitting in front of me, I could whack you over the head with a two-by-four!

1. What are differentiation operators?

Differentiation operators are mathematical operators that are used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. They are commonly used in calculus and are denoted using symbols such as d/dx or ∂/∂x.

2. How do differentiation operators work?

Differentiation operators work by taking the derivative of a function with respect to its independent variable. This involves finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph.

3. What is the difference between first-order and higher-order differentiation operators?

First-order differentiation operators, also known as the derivative, calculate the rate of change of a function at a specific point. Higher-order differentiation operators, such as the second derivative or third derivative, calculate the rate of change of the derivative itself.

4. What are some practical applications of differentiation operators?

Differentiation operators have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and other rates of change in real-world scenarios.

5. Are there any limitations to differentiation operators?

Yes, there are some limitations to differentiation operators. They may not be able to accurately calculate derivatives for functions with sharp corners or discontinuities. They also do not work on functions that are not continuous or differentiable.