Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference between a ferromagnet and a paramagnet?

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    I'm doing a presentation on magnetic hysteresis, and I have a feeling one of the profs will ask me what is the difference between a ferromagnet and a paramagnet. I haven't taken my 3rd year E&M class yet, so I would just like to know what I should answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2
    Ferromagnets are permanent magnets and paramagnets are not. This is probably the simplest and most important distinction.

4. Nov 26, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not quite true. A ferromagnet with a large remanence makes a good permanent magnet. A ferromagnet with a small remanence (ie: a soft ferromagnet) does not make a good permanent magnet.

5. Nov 26, 2006 #4

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Ferromagnets contain magnetic dipoles that 'influence' other dipoles around them, allowing them to align with one another. This property results in an enhanced magnetic response, as there is a reduced random variation in dipole orientation.

Claude.

6. Nov 26, 2006 #5
    And how do paramagnets behave? Are the dipoles just completely random?

7. Nov 26, 2006 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 27, 2006 #7

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In a paramagnet, the magnetization (M) is can be given as M=\chi H where
    \chi is positive. In a ferromagnet, M and H are almost unrelated, and M is much larger than H in magnitude. The use of \chi in ferromagnetism is meaningless, altough some engineers try to use it.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?