1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference Between an Electron and a Positron?

1. Apr 17, 2016 #1
    [Mentor's Note: The first 4 posts have been split off from another thread.]

I want to know why a electron has a different charge than a positron.

lets use an electron and positron that came to be at the same time and place. They should have split something.
    Can someone explain what it is they split?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2016 #2
    I'll be happy if you could tell me the difference between a electron and positron besides the fact that they fly in opposite directions through a magnetic field.

4. Apr 17, 2016 #3
    'Charge' is simply a property which some subatomic particles have.
    The value of this property for a particle which has it can only be positive or negative. (No intermediate or partial value)
    A positron is a particle whose properties are the same as an electron in all respects other than having opposite charge property.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  5. Apr 17, 2016 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 'fact' that they fly in opposite directions is explained if we consider them to have charges (equal and opposite in value).
    The "What is Charge" question is not part of Physics. It's like the "Why" question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted