Difference Between an Electron and a Positron?

In summary, an electron and positron are subatomic particles with opposite charges, with the value of this property being either positive or negative. While they have the same properties in all other aspects, their opposite charges explain the fact that they fly in opposite directions through a magnetic field. The difference between them lies solely in this charge property.
MullaTheMech
[Mentor's Note: The first 4 posts have been split off from another thread.]

I want to know why a electron has a different charge than a positron.

lets use an electron and positron that came to be at the same time and place. They should have split something.
Can someone explain what it is they split?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll be happy if you could tell me the difference between a electron and positron besides the fact that they fly in opposite directions through a magnetic field.

'Charge' is simply a property which some subatomic particles have.
The value of this property for a particle which has it can only be positive or negative. (No intermediate or partial value)
A positron is a particle whose properties are the same as an electron in all respects other than having opposite charge property.

Last edited:
MullaTheMech said:
I'll be happy if you could tell me the difference between a electron and positron besides the fact that they fly in opposite directions through a magnetic field.
The 'fact' that they fly in opposite directions is explained if we consider them to have charges (equal and opposite in value).
The "What is Charge" question is not part of Physics. It's like the "Why" question.

Likes Averagesupernova

1. What is the fundamental difference between an electron and a positron?

Electrons and positrons are both subatomic particles, but they have opposite charges. Electrons have a negative charge, while positrons have a positive charge. This difference in charge is the fundamental difference between the two particles.

2. What are the properties of an electron and a positron?

Electrons and positrons have similar properties, such as mass and spin. However, their charges are opposite, which affects their behavior in electromagnetic fields. Electrons are also much more abundant in nature compared to positrons.

3. Can an electron and a positron annihilate each other?

Yes, when an electron and a positron come into contact, they can annihilate each other, resulting in the release of energy in the form of gamma rays. This process is known as electron-positron annihilation.

4. How are electrons and positrons used in medical imaging?

Electrons and positrons play a crucial role in medical imaging techniques such as positron emission tomography (PET). In this process, a positron-emitting radioactive substance is injected into the body, and when it encounters electrons in the tissue, it causes the emission of gamma rays that can be detected by a PET scanner.

5. Is there any practical application of positrons?

Positrons have several practical applications, such as in medical imaging, as mentioned before. They are also used in scientific research, particularly in particle accelerators, to create and study other subatomic particles. In addition, positrons are used in industrial applications, such as in the production of positron-emitting isotopes for medical purposes and in material analysis techniques.