Difference between color / temperature?

In summary, the difference between a red object at room temperature and a heated red object (such as metal) is in the source of the red wavelengths. For a hot metal, the source is the electrons of the heated metal atoms, while for a red flower, it is the reflection of red wavelengths from the daylight. Our eyes are not reliable in distinguishing between these two colors, and using a spectral analysis is a better way to measure the difference. It is important to have a control object to compare the results accurately. Additionally, using an eye dropper sample tool or converting the image to monochrome can provide a better representation of the reflectance curves for the sample.
revv
What is the difference between a red object at room temperature and a heated red object (Metal for example).

They are both red except one is cooler then the other?

Why aren't the red objects in my room not hot like the heating of a metal?

Science news on Phys.org
Red means some electromagnetic waves of a certain wavelength fall into your eyes. It does not allow to conclude, where those waves were created from. In case of a hot metal the source is the electrons of the heated metal atoms. In case of a red flower, it is the daylight minus all wavelengths which the flower absorbs, i.e. only red isn't absorbed but reflected. Now daylight comes from the sun, which is hot, too, only farther away. However, I suppose the creation process is a different one.

Likes Klystron, davenn, pinball1970 and 1 other person
revv said:
What is the difference between a red object at room temperature and a heated red object (Metal for example).
The spectra are different. For a hot 'black body' the spectrum covers the whole of the EM spectrum with a peak around the 'red' wavelengths and, for a pigment, the spectrum of reflected (white) light will be a band of wavelengths around the red wavelengths (depending on the quality of the pigment.
Our eyes are very poor spectrometers and, under the right viewing conditions, those two 'red' colours could be completely indistinguishable. We could possibly distinguish between two test objects by the fact that we could feel the IR wavelengths against our face and conclude the hot object is in fact hot but the cold red object is not. But the eyes would probably not help in deciding which is which.
If the EM from a red hot object were passed through a good red filter, the spectrum would be pretty much the same as when white light is passed through the filter because the black body spectrum is broad and doesn't change much over any chosen narrow band section.

sophiecentaur said:
For a hot 'black body' the spectrum covers the whole of the EM spectrum with a peak around the 'red' wavelengths
I proved to myself a couple of years ago that there is green light present in a red/orange hot electric stove burner. (≈1500°F / 800°C)

2016.12.03.red.hot.things.are.also.green.png

This image was taken through diffraction grating.

I also captured the fuzzy spectrum of the neon "On" lamp on the front of my stove, which is a different kind of "color" altogether. (I think. :biggrin:)

Attachments

• 2016.12.03.red.hot.things.are.also.green.png
    2016.12.03.red.hot.things.are.also.green.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 549
Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
revv said:

They are both red except one is cooler then the other?

Why aren't the red objects in my room not hot like the heating of a metal?
Oh my.
For several years I've been wanting to do a "spectral analysis" of a banana, to figure out if it's true that they aren't really yellow.
Your question finally prompted me to do the experiment.
Albeit, I used a lemon this morning, as, I kept eating my previous experimental subjects...

Anyways, here are the results of this morning's experiment:

Experimental apparatus:
2018.08.07.spectrometry.device.png

Subject of experiment:
2018.08.07.lemon.in.spectrometry.device.png

Results of experiment:
2018.08.07.spectral.analysis.of.a.lemon.png

Conclusion: Lemons are white? :oldconfused:

hmmmm...

Attachments

• 2018.08.07.spectrometry.device.png
    2018.08.07.spectrometry.device.png
    102.4 KB · Views: 524
  • 2018.08.07.lemon.in.spectrometry.device.png
    2018.08.07.lemon.in.spectrometry.device.png
    67 KB · Views: 608
  • 2018.08.07.spectral.analysis.of.a.lemon.png
    2018.08.07.spectral.analysis.of.a.lemon.png
    57.8 KB · Views: 510
Likes Andy Resnick
OmCheeto said:
Conclusion: Lemons are white?
Conclusion: Eyeballing intensity levels at different frequencies and is not a good way to quantitatively measure a spectrum. The logarithmic response of the eyes will tend to make every frequency appear to be illuminated with rough uniformity.

Conclusion: Every experiment needs a control. If you look at the spectrum for an apple, or a piece of white paper compare it to one for a lemon and fail to find a difference then you have a real problem with your methodology. If you do find a difference, now you're getting a meaningful result. Side by side recommended -- eyes are designed to detect differences in illumination, edges.

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
Conclusion: Lemons are white?
Run the eye dropper sample tool on your Photo processing program and notice the RGB values on the image. There may be a Luminance option button - or convert to monochrome. That will show you a difference when compared to a white card (in shadow to avoid 255 255 255 saturation)

Likes OmCheeto

1. What is the difference between color and temperature?

Color and temperature are two distinct properties that can be used to describe an object. Color refers to the visual perception of an object and is determined by the wavelengths of light it reflects. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the amount of heat an object contains.

2. How are color and temperature related?

Color and temperature are related in that they both involve energy. The temperature of an object is related to the average kinetic energy of its particles, while the color of an object is determined by the energy of the light it emits or reflects. For example, a hot object will emit more energy and appear to have a higher temperature and a cooler color, while a cold object will have lower energy and appear to have a lower temperature and a warmer color.

3. Is there a universal color-temperature relationship?

No, there is not a universal color-temperature relationship. Different materials can have different color-temperature relationships based on their unique properties. Additionally, the relationship between color and temperature can also be affected by factors such as surface texture and lighting conditions.

4. How is color used to represent temperature?

Color is often used to represent temperature in visualizations or displays, such as in weather maps or thermal imaging. This is because humans are able to easily perceive and differentiate between different colors, making it an effective way to represent temperature data. In these cases, a color scale is used to map different colors to specific temperature ranges.

5. Can color affect the temperature of an object?

Yes, color can affect the temperature of an object. Different colors will absorb and reflect different amounts of light, which can impact the amount of heat an object absorbs or emits. For example, a black object will absorb more light and heat up faster than a white object, which reflects more light. This is why wearing dark colors in the sun can make you feel hotter than wearing light colors.