Difference between electrostatic charges& electric charges

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between electrostatic charges and electric charges. The speaker mentions their research on tungsten and shares that resistance can increase the temperature of the conductor through external sources, but this is not related to the original question. The other speaker suggests doing research on electrostatic and electric charges before coming back with specific questions.
Angela Liang
What's the difference between electrostatic charges& electric charges

Physics news on Phys.org
Angela Liang said:
What's the difference between electrostatic charges& electric charges

hi there Angela

What have you discovered so far in your research. Let us know and we can see if your are on the right path :smile:Dave

Likes Angela Liang
Angela Liang said:
Ok. It's all in another forum. I found out that given the high resistance of a tungsten, it can produce large power when a large current passes through( P=I^2R. )And there is way to increase temperature of the conductor through external sources. So this means R increases without the current being purposely changed ( but it decreases due to increased resistance and a fixed voltage...I inferred this part...not sure whether it's correct tho)

That has nothing to do with the question you asked in your OPDave

davenn said:
That has nothing to do with the question you asked in your OPDave
I know. That's what I asked in the other forum. I just started this forum on this qn.

Last edited:
Angela Liang said:
I know. That what I asked in the other forum. I just started this forum on this qn.
For electrostatic we only learned +/- charges and about how lightning is formed. So after that we learned about current electricity.

first suggestion ... do a little research
At PF we try to help people to learn for themselves

google ... what is electrostatic charges?
google ... what is electric charge?

see what you come up with ... then come back with specific questions on anything you need clarified :smile:regards
Dave

What is the difference between electrostatic charges and electric charges?

Electrostatic charges and electric charges are both related to the presence of electricity, but they are different in terms of how they are acquired and how they behave.

How are electrostatic charges acquired?

Electrostatic charges are acquired when two objects rub against each other, causing a transfer of electrons between the two objects. This results in one object becoming positively charged and the other becoming negatively charged.

How are electric charges acquired?

Electric charges are acquired through the flow of electrons in a circuit. This can happen naturally through lightning or can be controlled through man-made devices like batteries.

Do electrostatic charges and electric charges behave differently?

Yes, they do. Electrostatic charges tend to stay in one place and can build up on an object, while electric charges can flow through a circuit. Additionally, electrostatic charges are usually strong enough to be felt or seen, while electric charges are typically too small to be noticed without specialized equipment.

Can electrostatic charges and electric charges interact with each other?

Yes, they can. If a charged object comes into contact with an electrically neutral object, the electrostatic charges can transfer to the neutral object, making it charged as well. Additionally, electric charges can be used to create electrostatic charges through devices like Van de Graaff generators.