Difference between ESC and brushless motor controller?

In summary, the brushless motor controller is more versatile and can be used with more than one control interface.
DanT29
This is a 2 part question and I guess it applies to the brushed case as well.

1.What is the difference between an electronic speed controller (ESC) and a brushless motor controller show below:

ESC:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion-12a-multirotor-esc-1a-bec-with-connectors.html

Brushless motor controller:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/veyron-5a-brushless-motor-controller.html [Broken]

I am trying to make a drone from scratch, so I'm using an ARM microcontroller. I want to eventually control a brushless motor that will spin propellers like the one shown below:

Brushless motor:
http://www.robotshop.com/en/lynxmotion-brushless-multirotor-motor-2400kv-10a-cw.html

2. How do they each interface with the microcontroller?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The first one uses PPM which stands for Pulse Position Modulation. The length of a pulse is used to control the speed. Eg You feed it a pulse that varies from about 1mS to 2mS repeated every 20ms. This is the standard used for just about every RC model system. It's the same for servos, sail winches, speed controller etc. That particular model also has a battery eliminator circuit BEC that will turn the motor battery voltage into something suitable to power a reciever (or perhaps your Arm board?) so you don't need a separate reciever battery.

The second one has three different control interfaces. First is PPM as above. Second is a UART which is a serial interface. You would have to read the manual but my guess is you send it a byte or two of data to indicate the speed required. Third interface is going to be an analogue voltage interface - probably intended for use with a manual operated potentiometer.

Last edited:
PS Some speed controllers have a brake function. These are normally used in model cars and powered gliders with folding propellers. You probably need one without a brake or with a brake you can turn off/disable.

1. What is the main difference between ESC and brushless motor controller?

The main difference between ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) and brushless motor controller is the type of motor they are designed to control. ESC is used to control brushed motors, while brushless motor controller is used to control brushless motors.

2. How do ESC and brushless motor controller differ in terms of operation?

ESC operates by varying the voltage and current supplied to the motor to control its speed, while brushless motor controller uses a combination of sensors and electronic circuitry to control the timing and sequencing of the motor's stator coils.

3. Can ESC be used to control a brushless motor?

No, ESC cannot be used to control a brushless motor as they are designed for different types of motors. Using an ESC on a brushless motor can damage both the motor and the ESC.

4. Which one is more efficient, ESC or brushless motor controller?

Brushless motor controller is generally more efficient than ESC as it uses advanced technology to control the motor's speed and power, resulting in less energy loss and better performance.

5. What are the advantages of using a brushless motor controller over an ESC?

Some advantages of using a brushless motor controller over an ESC include higher efficiency, better control and precision, lower maintenance, and longer lifespan of the motor. Brushless motor controllers also have more advanced features such as sensorless operation and regenerative braking.