How to control motor using ESC, Ardiuno, and a potentiometer

In summary, an electric longboard will need a LiPo battery, an electronic speed controller (ESC), and an Arduino to control the motor. The motor is speced for 30V at 90A (max), while the battery is speced for 22.5V at 5Ah. The ESC may need to be hacked to pass current back to the battery, and the Arduino may have a motor controller shield available for use.
ajprinzi
So I want to build an electric longboard. I have access to pretty much any machining equipment but don't have much knowledge on the electrical side of things. I know I will need a LiPo battery (I am aware of the dangers of them), and an electronic speed controller (ESC) hooked up to the motor. I am thinking of putting in an Arduino to control the motor (using a wired potentiometer) using PWM signal to make the acceleration smoother.

But I am unaware of all the different specs on these I would need. Also, how would I be able to brake using this configuration? because I know there is a way.

I am thinking of using these following things:
motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22036__NTM_Prop_Drive_50_60_270KV_2400W.html

ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__18014__HobbyKing_Red_Brick_125A_ESC_Opto_.html

Battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8586__ZIPPY_Flightmax_5000mAh_6S1P_25C.html
Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure what an "ESC" does, even after skimming over the manual. I think it may translate "hobby servo" PWM signals to speed control for larger motors. If that's the case you may only need a variable pulse width oscillator (maybe made from at 555 chip) or commercial hobby servo controller and can skip the arduino bit entirely.

But the thing that jumps out is that your motor is speced for 30V at 90A (max) and your battery is 22.5V at 5Ah. So you will be able to go about 10 feet before the battery is discharged... The AmpHour rating is usually how many amps you can get out of the battery when discharged over a period of 20hours and you generally want to use less than half that rating to extend the battery recharge life.

The ESC - is usually just a DC chopper, unless it has directional control then it is a Full (H) bridge. The issue with breaking is that you need the ESC to pass current back to something ( Resistor, Capacitors or the battery) - typically hobby set ups are not made to do that. The MOSFETs in the ESC have a body diode that will let the current go from the motor back to the battery, but the battery probably will not want to absorb that much energy that fast - you may see an overvoltage - and blow the ESC - they are very voltage sensitive. I would suggest looking for a broken electric razor scooter (craigslist)- it has the same elements, and hacking into it and see what you can learn...
Oh the arduino does have a motor controller shield - both its design and the code to run it will be open source.

1. How does an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) work?

An ESC is an electronic device that controls the speed and direction of a motor by varying the amount of power that is sent to it. It takes input signals from the Arduino and converts them into specific voltage levels to control the motor.

2. What is the role of an Arduino in motor control?

An Arduino is the microcontroller that acts as the brain of the system. It receives input from the potentiometer and sends signals to the ESC to control the motor speed and direction. It can also be programmed to perform various tasks and functions related to motor control.

3. Can I use any type of motor with an ESC and Arduino?

Most ESCs are compatible with a variety of motors, including brushed and brushless motors. However, it is important to check the specifications of the ESC and motor to ensure they are compatible and can handle the power requirements.

4. What is the purpose of using a potentiometer in motor control?

A potentiometer is used to provide variable input signals to the Arduino, which in turn controls the speed of the motor. By turning the potentiometer, the user can adjust the voltage levels and effectively control the motor's speed and direction.

5. Can I use multiple motors with one ESC and Arduino?

Yes, it is possible to control multiple motors using one ESC and Arduino. However, the ESC should have enough power and channels to handle the combined load of the motors. Additionally, the programming of the Arduino will need to be adjusted to control multiple motors simultaneously.