What is the Role of J in Complex Numbers and its Use in Electrical Engineering?

• Thread starter cmcraes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, there is some confusion surrounding the use of the letter "j" in mathematics, physics, and electrical engineering. While it is commonly used to represent the imaginary unit √-1 in mathematics and physics, it is also used by electrical engineers to represent the same concept, as they often use the letter "i" to represent current. However, in the context of split-complex numbers, j2 = 1, leading to some confusion as to why it is used in both fields. Some suggest that it is simply a matter of convention and convenience, while others believe it has a deeper significance and serves as a reminder to think beyond traditional mathematical concepts. Ultimately, the use of "j" in mathematics and physics is not limited
cmcraes
I know that i is the square-root of -1 but I heard that J^2=1
I was wondering what J is, why it isn't equal to one and what its used for, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Where exactly did you hear this?

cmcraes said:
I was wondering what J is, why it isn't equal to one and what its used for, thanks!

Mathematicians and physicists:√-1 = i
Electrical engineers: √-1 = j (they use i for current)

Likes PFuser1232
this is where i heard it

Last edited by a moderator:
cmcraes said:
No, j2 = -1.
In the context of this thread, i and j are the same thing, the imaginary unit. As you already mentioned, engineers use j because they already use i for current.
cmcraes said:

okay thanks, i guess the video was wrong

Yeah, the guy definitely said j2 = 1, but j ≠ 1 (which leaves the only other possibility, which is that j = -1). So he didn't know what he was talking about.

One of the wonderful things about the internet is that even idiots can post!

*This is wrong, read lower, j can be expressed as a split complex number that has mathematical importance

So j is confusing because it's also used by physicists because they use I for current. But Henry and Vi from MinutePhysics and ViHart respectively aren't wrong in their appreciation of the number j. j is not a conventional whole number or complex number, and in fact it has no mathematical relevance. To a budding mathematician, j is a simple thought experiment, or perhaps better stated, an inspiration. In the same way that i was regarded as nonsensical because root(-1) should have no solution but in the end has had huge importance in higher level mathematics and physics, j is a prompt to remember that there is more math, more math languages, more operations to be discovered/created. Its a reminder to be unconventional. j^2=1 but j is not 1. Its just an example to think beyond.

Last edited:
CarsonAdams said:
But Henry and Vi from MinutePhysics and ViHart respectively aren't wrong in their appreciation of the number j. j is not a conventional whole number or complex number, and in fact it has no mathematical relevance. To a budding mathematician, j is a simple thought experiment, or perhaps better stated, an inspiration.

You do realize that the split-complex numbers are a thing in mathematics, right?

Likes FactChecker
Split complex numbers- okay, maybe I was wrong. When I tried to dig up info on j=root(1) and j=/1, I didn't get anywhere. Thanks for giving me a name to look for.

confusion?

Do you mean j2=1 or -1

Or do you mean the axises i^.j^,^k

utkarshraj said:
Do you mean j2=1 or -1
It's j2, not j2, and j here refers to the hyperbolic or split-complex numbers. See the link provided by pwsnafu in post #10. The hyperbolic j is a quantity that is independent of 1 but whose square is 1. Note that -1 is not independent of 1.

Perhaps the easiest way to envision what this hyperbolic j is is to look to the quaternions. Here there are three independent quantities, i, j, and k, each of which when squared yields -1. These i, j, and k certainly doesn't make sense with normal algebra, any more than does the hyperbolic j. How can there be more than two different numbers that squared yield -1 or 1 (or for that matter, any specific number)? The solution is simple: You're not in Kansas anymore. The quaternions have their own algebra, as do the hyperbolic numbers.

Or do you mean the axises i^.j^,^k
The use of [itex]\hat{\imath}[/itex], [itex]\hat{\jmath}[/itex], and [itex]\hat{k}[/itex] to indicate the unit vectors in three space comes directly from the quaternions.

In the physics literature, they were [re]discovered as the "perplex numbers".
They provide a route to the geometry of special relativity,
just as complex numbers provides a route to Euclidean Geometry.

as u people said if i used by mathematicians& physicists and j only used by electronic engineers..what you suggest about the term j which is used in physics also(for same usage) ? and why are you saying like j is only for the representation of -1 ,current density also we represent with the same notation,what you mean by it?

mathman said:
Mathematicians and physicists:√-1 = i
Electrical engineers: √-1 = j (they use i for current)
then what about the current density for which we use the same notation j?

pwsnafu said:
You do realize that the split-complex numbers are a thing in mathematics, right?
I just followed your link. I had never heard of this before. In split complex numbers j2 = 1. So maybe that is the context where the original post came from.

The difference between 'i' and 'j' is the difference between normal people and electrical engineers!

Likes PFuser1232, jasonRF and FactChecker
HallsofIvy said:
The difference between 'i' and 'j' is the difference between normal people and electrical engineers!
Ha Ha!

Actually, some of us EEs do use i and j interchangeably. In some instances, especially when reconciling results from physics and EE literature, it is convenient to use j for [itex]e^{j \omega t}[/itex] time dependence, and i for [itex]e^{-i \omega t}[/itex]. The mapping between results is then straightforward.

The argument that EEs use ##j## instead of ##i## because ##i## is used for current has always confused me. Don't physicists come across electric current a lot as well?

MohammedRady97 said:
The argument that EEs use ##j## instead of ##i## because ##i## is used for current has always confused me. Don't physicists come across electric current a lot as well?
Maybe 'i' came from the math side where 'imaginary' roots had to be explained. Leibniz called them "impossible" numbers.

It is my understanding that the used of complex numbers by electrrical engineers mostly traces back to Steinmetz, who published a paper in 1893 and a few years later a textbook on AC circuit analysis. Steinmetz used j, but didn't say why (at least in my skimming of his paper). EDIT: This is pretty far off-topic from the OP - sorry!

jason

1. What is the difference between "i" and "j" in mathematics?

In mathematics, "i" and "j" are both used as symbols to represent imaginary numbers. However, "i" is typically used to refer to the square root of -1, while "j" is used in engineering and physics to represent the imaginary unit.

2. Are "i" and "j" interchangeable in mathematical equations?

No, "i" and "j" cannot be interchanged in mathematical equations. They have distinct meanings and uses, and using the wrong symbol can lead to incorrect results.

3. Can "i" and "j" be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, "i" and "j" have different meanings and uses in other fields. For example, "i" is commonly used to represent current in electrical engineering, while "j" is used to represent the impulse in mechanics.

4. Is "i" the same as "j" in programming languages?

No, in programming languages, "i" is commonly used as a variable or counter, while "j" is used as a loop variable in nested loops. They are not interchangeable and have different purposes in programming.

5. Are there any other uses for "i" and "j" besides representing imaginary numbers?

Yes, "i" and "j" have various uses in different fields. For example, in linguistics, "i" and "j" are commonly used as symbols for the first and second person pronouns, respectively. In chemistry, "i" is used to represent the ionic strength of a solution, while "j" is used to represent the imaginary component of the refractive index.