Difference between Zero-Field Cooling and Field Cooling

In summary, the conversation discusses an experimental project on superconductors, specifically studying the properties of FeTeSe. The speaker is struggling to understand the difference between Zero-Field Cooling and Field Cooling, both of which involve measuring magnetization while applying a non-zero magnetic field at varying temperatures. They inquire about the significance of cooling after applying the field versus applying the field after lowering the temperature. The other person suggests looking into the formation of vortices in a textbook to better understand the behavior of a type-II superconductor like FeTeSe when exposed to a magnetic field.
dwellexity
I am currently doing a experimental project work on superconductors. I am supposed to study properties of FeTeSe.
I am having trouble understanding the difference between Zero-Field Cooling and Field Cooling. In both cases, I am measuring magnetization with varying temperature (from lower to higher) while a non-zero magnetic field is applied. Why does it make a difference whether I cool after applying field or apply field after the temperature has been lowered as required.

Physics news on Phys.org
FeTeSe is presumably a type-II superconductor, right?
What does that mean in terms of how it reacts to an applied magnetic field?

Hint: Look up some information about the formation of vortices in a textbook (see e.g. Tinkham's book)

1. What is the difference between Zero-Field Cooling (ZFC) and Field Cooling (FC)?

Zero-Field Cooling and Field Cooling are two methods used to measure the magnetic properties of materials. In ZFC, the sample is cooled in the absence of an external magnetic field, while in FC, the sample is cooled in the presence of an external magnetic field.

2. Which method is better for measuring the magnetic properties of a material?

It depends on the material and the specific properties being measured. ZFC is better for measuring the intrinsic magnetic properties of a material, while FC is better for measuring the response to an external magnetic field.

3. Can the results of ZFC and FC experiments be different?

Yes, the results of ZFC and FC experiments can be different. This is because the presence of an external magnetic field in FC can affect the magnetic properties of the material, leading to different results compared to ZFC.

4. How do ZFC and FC experiments help in understanding the magnetic behavior of a material?

ZFC and FC experiments provide important information about the magnetic behavior of a material. By comparing the results of both methods, scientists can gain a better understanding of the material's magnetic properties, such as its magnetic susceptibility, coercivity, and remanence.

5. Are there any limitations to ZFC and FC experiments?

Yes, there are limitations to ZFC and FC experiments. These methods are not suitable for measuring the magnetic properties of materials at very low or high temperatures, and the results can be influenced by the presence of impurities or defects in the material.