Superconductivity & the Meissner Effect

In summary: The energy argument is valid because it is the kinetic energy of the Cooper pairs that is responsible for the expulsion of the magnetic field. The electric field is not generated because the flux of the magnetic field is zero.
Jimmy87
Hi,
I am new to superconductivity and have been doing a lot of reading to try and become familiar with it. I have come across a few questions that I would be grateful is someone could answer. I am confused about the mechanism that describes the expulsion of magnetic fields from inside a superconductor. The source of my confusion came from this YouTube clip from an MIT professor where he talks about superconductivity at 30mins 30seconds in.

He argues that a superconductor expels magnetic fields because if one did penetrate it then an emf would be generated across it and if the resistance is zero, the current would go to infinity according to Ohm's Law. If this is true then what about if you take a superconducting material above the critical temperature and expose it to a magnetic field. This would cause a magnetic field to go through the superconducting material. If you then cool it until it becomes superconducting then all the sources I have read say that the magnetic field is expelled. Would this not be considered a change in magnetic field and therefore generate an infinite current using this logic from the lecturer? What is the reason magnetic fields are expelled from superconductors? Is it to satisfy the infinite current caused by a changing flux?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The point is that you have to accelerate the cooper pairs and by Newtons law this acceleration is proportional to E/2m, where E is the electric field due to the changing magnetic field and m is the electron mass. As E is zero before the condensation of Cooper pairs and after expulsion of the magnetic field, E only acts for a finite time and will only lead to a finite velocity of the cooper pairs, i.e. a finite current, which is precisely large enough to expell the exterior magnetic field.

Likes Jimmy87 and ProfuselyQuarky
DrDu said:
The point is that you have to accelerate the cooper pairs and by Newtons law this acceleration is proportional to E/2m, where E is the electric field due to the changing magnetic field and m is the electron mass. As E is zero before the condensation of Cooper pairs and after expulsion of the magnetic field, E only acts for a finite time and will only lead to a finite velocity of the cooper pairs, i.e. a finite current, which is precisely large enough to expell the exterior magnetic field.

Thanks. What is the reason for the expulsion of the magnetic field inside a superconductor? Is it argued like the professor in terms of conservation of energy where the magnetic field is expelled so that an electric field is not generated inside the superconductor which would lead to an infinite current?

There are various ways to understand the expulsion of the magnetic field in a superconductor and this energetic argument is certainly valid.
The most interesting interpretation of the expulsion of the magnetic field is the Anderson-Higgs mechanism which explains the expulsion with the Cooper pairs acting as a Higgs field which gives mass to the effective electromagnetic field inside the superconductor, so that the field has to decay exponentially at the surface. This mechanism was first developed for superconductors before it was applied in high energy physics. However, the mathematical details are rather advanced.

Likes Jimmy87
DrDu said:
There are various ways to understand the expulsion of the magnetic field in a superconductor and this energetic argument is certainly valid.
The most interesting interpretation of the expulsion of the magnetic field is the Anderson-Higgs mechanism which explains the expulsion with the Cooper pairs acting as a Higgs field which gives mass to the effective electromagnetic field inside the superconductor, so that the field has to decay exponentially at the surface. This mechanism was first developed for superconductors before it was applied in high energy physics. However, the mathematical details are rather advanced.

Thanks again. If you say the energy argument is valid could you explain some confusion I have with it:

I totally get that if you approach a superconductor below its critical temperature with a magnet then it will expel the magnetic fields so that the rate of change of flux is zero to give no emf and therefore no electric field. The small problem I have with this is that surely an emf (and electric field) must be induced to drive the eddy currents which expel the magnetic field. Does this not violate energy conservation if R=0 but V is non zero?

The other problem is when you let a magnetic field penetrate the material above its critical temperature. You then cool it and the magnetic field is expelled. Since it had a flux which has now gone to zero isn't there a change in flux which again would give a non zero V with R=0?

Jimmy87 said:
Thanks again. If you say the energy argument is valid could you explain some confusion I have with it:

I totally get that if you approach a superconductor below its critical temperature with a magnet then it will expel the magnetic fields so that the rate of change of flux is zero to give no emf and therefore no electric field. The small problem I have with this is that surely an emf (and electric field) must be induced to drive the eddy currents which expel the magnetic field. Does this not violate energy conservation if R=0 but V is non zero?

The other problem is when you let a magnetic field penetrate the material above its critical temperature. You then cool it and the magnetic field is expelled. Since it had a flux which has now gone to zero isn't there a change in flux which again would give a non zero V with R=0?
I thought we had already cleared this point. What is V, btw? Voltage? A magnetic field cannot be described in terms of voltage.
Your problem may be that you don't completely understand the implications of vanishing resistance.
Consider a massive sphere in a viscous medium. If you pull with constant force, then, after a long time, the velocity will be proportional to the force and inversely proportional to viscosity. This is Ohm's law, basically. But when you start pulling, the sphere will accelerate. This acceleration phase will be the longer the lesser the viscosity of the medium. I.e., the time after which Ohm's law is applicable will be the longer the lesser the resistance. In a medium with zero resistance, Ohm's law will never hold because the charge carriers will experience constant acceleration. In the case of a superconductor, this acceleration will continue until the induced magnetic field, which is proportional to the velocity will compensate the external magnetic field inside the superconductor. Hence you end up with a finite current density in the material.

Likes Jimmy87
DrDu said:
I thought we had already cleared this point. What is V, btw? Voltage? A magnetic field cannot be described in terms of voltage.
Your problem may be that you don't completely understand the implications of vanishing resistance.
Consider a massive sphere in a viscous medium. If you pull with constant force, then, after a long time, the velocity will be proportional to the force and inversely proportional to viscosity. This is Ohm's law, basically. But when you start pulling, the sphere will accelerate. This acceleration phase will be the longer the lesser the viscosity of the medium. I.e., the time after which Ohm's law is applicable will be the longer the lesser the resistance. In a medium with zero resistance, Ohm's law will never hold because the charge carriers will experience constant acceleration. In the case of a superconductor, this acceleration will continue until the induced magnetic field, which is proportional to the velocity will compensate the external magnetic field inside the superconductor. Hence you end up with a finite current density in the material.

Ok I think I get you. So there is an induced electric field inside the superconductor but it only lasts long enough to accelerate the electrons to a velocity that opposes the external field?

Yes, exactly

1. What is superconductivity and how does it work?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance and the expulsion of magnetic fields when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature. This is due to the formation of Cooper pairs, which are pairs of electrons that act as one unit and can move through the material without resistance.

2. What is the Meissner effect?

The Meissner effect is the complete expulsion of magnetic fields from the interior of a superconductor when it is cooled below its critical temperature. This is due to the perfect conductivity of the superconductor, which causes the magnetic field to be repelled and excluded from the interior of the material.

3. What are the practical applications of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has a wide range of practical applications, including use in MRI machines, particle accelerators, and high-speed trains. It is also used in the development of powerful electromagnets for use in research and industrial processes.

4. What are the challenges in achieving superconductivity at higher temperatures?

The main challenge in achieving superconductivity at higher temperatures is finding materials that can maintain their superconducting properties at these temperatures. Most superconductors currently only work at extremely low temperatures, which makes them difficult and expensive to use in practical applications.

5. How does the discovery of new superconducting materials impact the field?

The discovery of new superconducting materials can have a major impact on the field, as it allows for the development of more efficient and practical applications of superconductivity. It also provides new opportunities for research and understanding of the underlying mechanisms of superconductivity.