Difference of two square integers

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the 2002nd positive integer that is not the difference of two square integers and the process of finding which numbers cannot be expressed as the difference of two squares. It is determined that the desired number is 8006 and that all even numbers and multiples of 4 can be expressed as the difference of two squares. The conversation also briefly mentions counting the occurrences of the sum of consecutive odd positive integers.
primarygun
Find the 2002nd positive integer that is not the difference of two square integers.
I have idea for the answers, but there are two.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How about posting your ideas?

well, that would mean that the integer cannot be a^2 - b^2, if a > b... i vaguely remember doing this before, but all i can remember is that it really comes down to finding what numbers *cant* be expressed as the difference of two squares, and then sort of just doing it... sorry I am not very helpful

Thank you. That helps me a lot !

Hello, primarygun

primarygun said:
Find the 2002nd positive integer that is not the difference of two square integers.
I have idea for the answers, but there are two.

There are two?

I can't understand how could that be.
If we put all these numbers in a series, just one is in the place 2002! :confused:

Anyway...

x=a^2-b^2
I SUPPOSE THAT a,b>0
If a number can be written as a difference of two perfect squares then I'll call that number a perfect difference

Well, that's what I found

First, I wrote down some squares, from 1^2 to 10^2 and I found the differences (you can easy do it on Excel)
I noticed that the differences are either
or

And there is not other!
(But there are numbers which are repeated many times, e.g
24=7^2-5^2, but also
24=5^2-1^2)

That is, the perfect differences are all even numbers (>=3) and all multiples of 4 (>=8)

I think that I must prove it :rolleyes:

Well, say x=a^2-b^2 => x=(a+b)(a-b)
(That is we suppose that x is a perfect difference)
Of course a>b

x may be either odd or even

1)
x is even

so x=2q (where q>=1)
(a-b)(a+b)=2q
The second side is even
So a-b is even or a+b is even
but if a-b is even then a+b is even too:
a-b=2k =>
a=b+2k =>
a+b= (b+2k)+b = 2b+2k = 2(b+k)
Then x = 2k*2(b+k) = 4k(b+k)

Since k>=1 & b>=1 the value of k(b+k) has a minimum value 1*(1+1)=1*2=2

So, IF x is even THEN x=4r, where r>=2
(That is, all multiples of 4, except 4)

2)
x is odd

so x=2k+1
but if you set
a=k+1
b=k

then you get a^2-b^2 = (a-b)(a+b) = 1*(k+k+1) = 2k+1
Since b>=1 => k>=1 => x>2*1+1 =>
x>=3

So, IF x is odd & x>=3 THEN x is a perfect difference.

We found that the perfect differences are:
-the odd numbers (>=3)
-the multiples of 4 (>=8)

In other words if x=4k+m (you divide by 4, k is the quotient and m is the remainder)
m=0 => x is a perfect difference
m=1 => x is a perfect difference (because x is odd)
m=3 => x is a perfect difference (because x is odd)

But if m=2 <=> x=4m+2 <=> x=2(2m+1)
then x isn't divisible by 4, so x is NOT a perfect difference

The desired numbers are all the doubles of an odd, x=2(2m+1)
and also, x=4 and x=1
(x=4 is the only multiple of 4 which is less than 8
x=1 is the only odd number <3)
So, can you now find which NON perfect difference is at the place 2002?

If you don't understand something, just tell me, ok?

Last edited:
Thanks.
Actually, I have already got the solution. But I suspect the answer from that book.

Doesn't matter !
It was actually a very good problem, so I was glad to deal with this! :smile:

8006?......

I think you forgot to count x=4 and x=1

Put all even numbers in a series
The first one is 1
The next 3,5,7,...
The 2002nd is 4003 (if I calculated right)

Double them
The first is 2, then 6,10,14,...
The 2002nd is 8006

But there are also the numbers x=4 and x=1

There are 2 numbers, so we want the 2000th in the series 2,6,10,14,..., which is 7998
(n=2000=>
k=2n-1= 3999 =>
2k = 7998)

Popey, 4 and 1 are a difference of square integers. 1=1^2-0^2 and 4^2-0^2. Zero is a square integer.

Also, while your proof shows that if a positive integer divisible by 2 is a difference of squares then it's divisible by 4, you did not show that every integer divisible by 4 is a difference of squares. Did you deal with this primarygun?

Thanks, shmoe!

Popey said:
I can't understand how could that be.
If we put all these numbers in a series, just one is in the place 2002! :confused:

Anyway...

x=a^2-b^2
I SUPPOSE THAT a,b>0

Since I didn't knew for a and b, if they are positive, I supposed that they are!
That's why I reject the values
x=1=12-02
x=4=42-02

With this shmoe's comment , primarygun is correct! the number is 8006

About your second comment, I did it to my paper but I didn't post it here, because I thought that it's not important.

Now I see clearly that it's important! :frown:
----------------------------------------------------
Well, suppose that x=4n (n>0 because x>0)
x=2*2n

if you set a=n+1 & b=n-1, then
a2-b2=
(a+b)(a-b)=
[(n+1)-(n-1)][(n+1)+(n-1)]=2*2n=x

Thank you!

were trying to count out the occurance of the sum of consecutive odd positive integers.

1. What is the "difference of two square integers"?

The difference of two square integers refers to the result of subtracting one square number from another square number, where a square number is a number that can be written as the product of two equal integers. For example, the difference of two square integers can be seen in the expression (9 - 4), where 9 and 4 are both square numbers (3^2 and 2^2, respectively).

2. How is the difference of two square integers calculated?

The difference of two square integers is calculated by subtracting the smaller square number from the larger square number. For example, in the expression (25 - 16), the difference would be 9.

3. What is the significance of the difference of two square integers?

The difference of two square integers can have various applications in mathematics, particularly in algebra and number theory. It can be used to solve equations and find the roots of polynomials, as well as in proving theorems and solving geometric problems.

4. Can the difference of two square integers be negative?

Yes, the difference of two square integers can be negative if the smaller square number is subtracted from the larger square number. For example, in the expression (16 - 25), the difference would be -9.

5. Are there any patterns or properties of the difference of two square integers?

Yes, there are several patterns and properties of the difference of two square integers, such as the difference always being odd if the two square integers are consecutive, and the difference always being a multiple of 3 if the two square integers are both multiples of 3. These patterns and properties can be explored and proven using algebraic and geometric methods.