1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difference Quotient Isn't working.

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the derivative of f using the differance quotient and use the derivative of f to determine any points on the graph of f where the tangent line is horizontal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3(x+\Delta x)^3-9(x+\Delta x)-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3(x^3+3x^2\Delta x+3x\Delta x^2+\Delta x^3)-9x-9\Delta x-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3x^3+9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9x-9\Delta x-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

The '3x3's and '9x's cancel out and you are left with

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9\Delta x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Then if you take the limit as delta x approaches 0 you will get

[tex]9x^2+9x-6[/tex] I know the answer is [tex]9x^2-9[/tex] via the rules of differentiation.

What am I doing wrong with this example?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Check the bolded step again.
  4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    You can cancel factors of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] from each term in the numerator with the one in the denominator. What are you left with after this cancellation? What is the limit of this expression when [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/itex]?
  5. Jul 27, 2010 #4
    [tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9\Delta x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Ok, so you would get this after taking the limit.

[tex]=9x^2+9x\Delta x+3\Delta x^2-9[/tex]

what happens to the delta x terms though? Is delta x just such a small number [tex]\epsilon[/tex] that you can say they are practically 0 and anything multiplied by 0 is 0?
  6. Jul 27, 2010 #5
    No. Please review limits before you go on to derivatives.
  7. Jul 27, 2010 #6
    Nevermind you would simply factor out a delta x out of the numerator then you have 2 'delta x's that cancel out. Then you take the limit and you get 9x2-9. Otherwise its in indiscriminate form.
  8. Jul 28, 2010 #7

Science Advisor

I think you mean "indeterminant" form.
  9. Jul 28, 2010 #8
    I think you meant "indeterminate" form.
  10. Jul 28, 2010 #9

Staff: Mentor

HallsOfIvy was being indiscriminate.:smile:
  11. Jul 28, 2010 #10

Homework Helper

Hahaha gold :rofl:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook