Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Difference Quotient Isn't working.

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the derivative of f using the differance quotient and use the derivative of f to determine any points on the graph of f where the tangent line is horizontal.

[tex]f(x)=3x^3-9x[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3(x+\Delta x)^3-9(x+\Delta x)-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3(x^3+3x^2\Delta x+3x\Delta x^2+\Delta x^3)-9x-9\Delta x-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{3x^3+9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9x-9\Delta x-3x^3+9x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

The '3x3's and '9x's cancel out and you are left with

[tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9\Delta x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Then if you take the limit as delta x approaches 0 you will get

[tex]9x^2+9x-6[/tex] I know the answer is [tex]9x^2-9[/tex] via the rules of differentiation.

What am I doing wrong with this example?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Check the bolded step again.

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3
    You can cancel factors of [itex]\Delta x[/itex] from each term in the numerator with the one in the denominator. What are you left with after this cancellation? What is the limit of this expression when [itex]\Delta x \rightarrow 0[/itex]?

5. Jul 27, 2010 #4
    [tex]\lim_{\Delta x\rightarrow0}=\frac{9x^2\Delta x+9x\Delta x^2+3\Delta x^3-9\Delta x}{\Delta x}[/tex]

Ok, so you would get this after taking the limit.

[tex]=9x^2+9x\Delta x+3\Delta x^2-9[/tex]

what happens to the delta x terms though? Is delta x just such a small number [tex]\epsilon[/tex] that you can say they are practically 0 and anything multiplied by 0 is 0?

6. Jul 27, 2010 #5
    No. Please review limits before you go on to derivatives.

7. Jul 27, 2010 #6
    Nevermind you would simply factor out a delta x out of the numerator then you have 2 'delta x's that cancel out. Then you take the limit and you get 9x2-9. Otherwise its in indiscriminate form.

8. Jul 28, 2010 #7

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

I think you mean "indeterminant" form.

9. Jul 28, 2010 #8
    I think you meant "indeterminate" form.

10. Jul 28, 2010 #9

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

HallsOfIvy was being indiscriminate.:smile:

11. Jul 28, 2010 #10

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Hahaha gold :rofl:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook