Differences between Fascism and regular ol' Dictatorships?

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regular
In summary: And I think that's where the "Hitler and Moussolini were Fascist" thing comes from - Roosevelt was pretty pro-business, while Hitler and Mussolini were pretty anti-business. In summary, Fascism is a political ideology that emphasizes national glory, strict regimentation of the economy, and the autocratic rule of a single leader. It is different from other dictatorships because it incorporates a corporatist system.
wasteofo2
What are the distinguishing characteristics of Fascism that make it different from any other Dictatorship out there? I mean, I hear "Hitler and Moussolini were Fascist", but being that nearly everything I know about those two comes from the American Public School system and the History Channel (both very Pro-American/Anti-Hitler/Moussolini sources), I've never got a real pindown on why Hitler's and Moussolini's policies denoted them as anything but common Dictators. In my experience, Fascist has been used more as a derrogotory term than a term to denote a specific political ideology or method, and if someone is describing a policy or politician as Fascist, it's generally just when they're infringing on people's rights or something simmilar, but limiting people's rights is hardly something unique to the Fascist movement...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an excellent question, and it has a definite answer.

Fascism was first of all an ideology; it had three principles:

- Glorification of the race. The sentiments previously inspired by religion were to be replaced by admiration of the people's race, its history and its achievements.

- Leadership principle. The single leader embodies the ideals of the race and all loyalty should be given to him. In German the word for leader is Fuehrer, which was Hitler's title. In Italian it is Duce, which was Mussolini's.

- The Party. The leader's party is the way he interacts with the people. The people must obey and respect the party.

Now you may have heard of the Ba'athist party in Iraq. It was in Egypt and Syria too, although history has treated it differently in those countries. Ba'athism was a deliberate copy of European Fascism; it tried to replace Islam in the people's minds with Arabism, a fascistic glorification af Arab history and achievements. Certainly Saddam Hussain, who had seized power from the original Ba'athist leaders, tried to embody the leadership principle.

Ok, so they're working the angle of inspiring ethnocentrism and making themselves out to be Gods on Earth, that somehow doesn't seem too different than what most dictators did throughout history...

And what about governing policy? Besides these vague notions, are there any specific Fascist attitudes toward real governance, besides Party allegience? Is there any sort of "Fascist Manifesto", or anything of the like, or was it more just an evolution of effective Dictatorship?

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." That quote is commonly atributed to Mussolini, but from what I understand he actually nicked it of someone else. Regardless, I find it a fitting description which ilustrates the difference between facism and a your average dictatorship.

Fascism just means any regime that resembles Mussolini's, hitler wasn't strictly fascist, he's just called such for convenience. A Fascism regime usually has to meet 5 criteria
-exalts nation and sometimes race above the individual,
-uses violence and modern techniques of propaganda and censorship to forcibly suppress political opposition,
-engages in severe economic and social regimentation.
-engages in corporatism
-implements or is a totalitarian regime.

from www.m-w.com : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible suppression of opposition

wasteofo2 said:
Ok, so they're working the angle of inspiring ethnocentrism and making themselves out to be Gods on Earth, that somehow doesn't seem too different than what most dictators did throughout history...
Well, I think most relaively modern dictators are (were) fascists - they go with what works. But Stalin and the other Soviet dictators, for example, didn't base his rule on ethnocentrism - it was all party loyalty. I think Mao, though a Communist dictator, had some of the ethnocentrism.

You could also separate a dictator and a monarch - though they often have a lot in common, a monarch doesn't (generally) need to sieze power.

Fascism was said to be heavily influenced by Leninist and early Stalinist rule in the USSR. The corporate state in Fascism or Naziism was really mostly talk though. They interfered with the market no more than, and maybe less than Franklin D. Roosevelt.

1. What is the main difference between fascism and regular dictatorships?

The main difference between fascism and regular dictatorships is their ideology. Fascism is a political ideology that promotes extreme nationalism, authoritarianism, and often includes elements of racism and totalitarianism. Regular dictatorships, on the other hand, do not necessarily have a specific ideology and can vary in their methods of governance.

2. How do fascist leaders gain and maintain power compared to regular dictators?

Fascist leaders often gain and maintain power through the use of propaganda, manipulation of the media, and suppression of opposition. They may also create a cult of personality, where they are glorified and portrayed as a strong and infallible leader. Regular dictators may also use similar tactics, but they may not have the same level of control over the media and may rely more on force and intimidation to maintain power.

3. Are there any similarities between fascism and regular dictatorships?

Yes, there are some similarities between fascism and regular dictatorships. Both types of governments are authoritarian and give a single individual or party control over the state. They also often use fear and oppression to maintain power and suppress dissent.

4. How do the economic systems differ between fascism and regular dictatorships?

In fascism, the economy is typically controlled by the state and is used to further the goals of the ruling party. This can include nationalizing industries, implementing protectionist policies, and using economic resources to strengthen the military. In regular dictatorships, there may be more variety in economic systems, but the dictator often has significant control over the economy and may use it to enrich themselves and their inner circle.

5. What are some notable examples of fascist regimes and regular dictatorships?

Some notable examples of fascist regimes include Nazi Germany under Adolf Hitler, Fascist Italy under Benito Mussolini, and Francoist Spain under Francisco Franco. Regular dictatorships include the Soviet Union under Joseph Stalin, North Korea under Kim Jong-un, and Zimbabwe under Robert Mugabe.