Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Differences in infinity?

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    Assuming that this next statement is correct, that there are an infinite amount of numbers between the numbers "1 and 2", and another, different set of infinite numbers between "2 and 3".
    All I'm trying to take out of this is that infinity doesn't necessarily mean every number, but at the same time it could.
    If this is true then you could have infinity in an equation but also have real numbers to create differences in them because they are constants.

∞14 + ∞18 = ∞32

I'm sure this could go much further, but I'm not even sure if this is already something used. If you have any information, even a link would be nice.
    Much Thanks
    -DaMeek

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

A better way to say this is that there are an infinite number of numbers between 1 and 2, as well as between 2 and 3. In fact, between any two real numbers, there are an infinite number of numbers
    That's not the way it works. We have a Math FAQ that discusses infinity - https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/questions-about-infinity/

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook