Different descriptions of electrostatic energy

In summary, the author is trying to find a way to incorporate a dielectric into an electrostatic energy equation, but is struggling to do so. The first equation calculates the electrostatic energy contribution, while the second equation combines this with a total charge. The author is missing a part of the total charge, which is likely due to trying to solve for it using a free charge instead of the total charge.
Mexicorn
This is actually a question pertaining to a paper I'm trying to understand (PRB 73, 115407 (2006)), but I decided to put it here just to be safe.

Homework Statement

The paper I'm reading involves starting with an electrostatic energy contribution, and rewriting it with a green's function solution to the Poisson equation rather than the standard 1/r form to incorporate a dielectric. The step I'm missing, though, is in how the author formulates the energy contribution at first.

Homework Equations

The electrostatic energy contribution to the total energy is described like so:
[itex]-\int \frac{\epsilon(r)}{8\pi}\left|\nabla V(r)\right|^{2}d^{3}r +\int \rho(r) V(r)d^{3}r [/itex].
After incorporating the green's function solution (which is not relevant to my holdup), the term becomes the more familiar (to me at least):
[itex]\frac{1}{2}\int \rho(r) V(r)d^{3}r [/itex]. (the sign on this term is ambiguous as it is defined as positive in the paper and negative in an online formulation written by the same author)

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting from the top equation..
[itex]-\int \frac{\epsilon(r)}{8\pi}\left|\nabla V(r)\right|^{2}d^{3}r +\int \rho(r) V(r)d^{3}r[/itex]
and plugging in the identity: [itex]\textbf{E} = - \nabla V(r)[/itex], I am left with
[itex]\int \frac{\epsilon(r)}{8\pi}\nabla V(r) \cdot \textbf{E} d^{3}r+\int \rho(r) V(r)d^{3}r
[/itex]
Then using Gauss' theorem yields:
[itex]\int \frac{\epsilon(r)}{8\pi}\nabla \cdot (V(r)\textbf{E}) d^{3}r-\int \frac{\epsilon(r)}{8\pi} V(r) (\nabla \cdot \textbf{E}) d^{3}r+\int \rho(r) V(r)d^{3}r
[/itex]
By the Divergence theorem, the first term is equivalent to [itex]\oint (V(r) \textbf{E}) \cdot d\textbf{A}[/itex] which is zero under the assumption that the potential vanishes at infinity. The last step is where I am struggling. At first I thought I would merely plug in the identity [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = 4\pi \rho[/itex], but this still leaves me with a dangling permittivity within the integral. I tried going through everything again substituting in the electric displacement instead of the field, but then my last step will have a [itex]\rho_f[/itex] instead of the total charge.

Anyone know where I'm going wrong with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mexicorn said:
At first I thought I would merely plug in the identity [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{E} = 4\pi \rho[/itex],

The correct formula is [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{D} = 4\pi \rho [/itex]

ehild

Shouldn't the form be [itex]\nabla \cdot \textbf{D} = \rho_{free}[/itex] which would have me missing a part of the total charge?

Going through the steps using [itex]\textbf{D}=-\epsilon(r)\nabla V(r)[/itex] gives me the following result:
[itex]-\int \frac{1}{2} V(r) \rho_{free}(r) d^{3}r + \int \rho_{total}(r) V(r) d^{3}r[/itex]

I don't see how I can combine a total charge with just a free charge (coming from the dielectric displacement). This model is used where there will be dielectric areas which should accumulate bound charges...

Thank you, ehild, for taking a look at this.

Are you sure the charge in the second integral is not free charge?

ehild

1. What is electrostatic energy?

Electrostatic energy is the potential energy stored in an object due to its electric charge. It is a form of energy that is associated with the interaction between charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

2. How is electrostatic energy different from other forms of energy?

Unlike other forms of energy, such as mechanical or thermal energy, electrostatic energy is not dependent on the movement of particles. Instead, it is related to the arrangement and distribution of electric charges in an object.

3. What are the different descriptions of electrostatic energy?

There are three main ways to describe electrostatic energy: electric potential energy, electric field energy, and electric potential. Electric potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its electric charge, while electric field energy is the energy associated with the electric field surrounding a charged object. Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in space.

4. How is electrostatic energy used in everyday life?

Electrostatic energy plays a crucial role in various technologies, such as batteries, generators, and electronic devices. It also helps in the functioning of everyday objects, like hair dryers and air purifiers, which use static electricity to remove particles from the air.

5. Can electrostatic energy be harmful?

In some cases, electrostatic energy can be harmful, such as in the form of lightning strikes or electrostatic discharge (ESD) events. It is essential to take precautions, such as grounding and using anti-static materials, to prevent damage to electronic devices and potential harm to individuals in these situations.