Different format of .dat files in different software

kelvin490
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have generated some .dat files using Fortran on a cluster. I need to use WinSCP(https://winscp.net/eng/download.php) to access files in the cluster so sometimes I just use the WinSCP to open the .dat files generated. The data can be shown regularly like this one: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pictures?preview=notepad2.jpg
notepad2.jpg

However, if I download it to my desktop and open it with notepad it becomes like this: https://www.dropbox.com/home/Pictures?preview=notepad1.jpg

notepad1.jpg

It bothers me because usually I read the file in PC and I need to share it to some other people and I don't expect they open it in WinSCP. How can I change the format so it looks better? Thank you.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dropbox requires a sign-in for your links. You should use some other method.

Dropbox requires a sign-in for your links. You should use some other method.
I agree completely. Can't you just attach the files, instead of posting images of them?

BTW, are the .dat files you (OP) create text files or are they binary files?

kelvin490
Gold Member
I agree completely. Can't you just attach the files, instead of posting images of them?

BTW, are the .dat files you (OP) create text files or are they binary files?
Sorry for the trouble. Actually I tried to attach pictures directly but it still ask me to put the picture's URL. I copied the link to it but it seems doesn't work.
For the .dat file, I only know it's .DAT type by checking the properties of the file. In Fortran I just use the "open" function, for example: open(10, file = 'Overall.dat', form = 'formatted',status = 'unknown',position="append") to create and then write the file. Curiously, if I run the program in my PC, the file generated is good and just looks like the first picture above. The problem just occurs when I run it in the cluster to creates the .dat file then download it to my PC.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Sorry for the trouble. Actually I tried to attach pictures directly but it still ask me to put the picture's URL. I copied the link to it but it seems doesn't work.
Well, don't fool around with links (URLs), just post the images here directly.

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Use the upload button on the bottom right to post pics from your computer.

kelvin490
Gold Member
Well, don't fool around with links (URLs), just post the images here directly.
I can attach it now. Thanks a lot.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
I think you are running afoul of the carriage control (how the computer says "give me the next line").
Fortran uses a channel control character like a '0' as the very first character of a "line". gfortran still implements this.

DOS uses (hence notepad) \r and \n at the end of a line (ASCII 10 and ASCII 13)
UNIX uses \n.

Since we cannot see what is going on - all of the above is simply a guess.
Please tell what platforms (and OS) are involved: like "the cluster" Is it a Linux cluster?

kelvin490
Gold Member
I think you are running afoul of the carriage control (how the computer says "give me the next line").
Fortran uses a channel control character like a '0' as the very first character of a "line". gfortran still implements this.

DOS uses (hence notepad) \r and \n at the end of a line (ASCII 10 and ASCII 13)
UNIX uses \n.

Since we cannot see what is going on - all of the above is simply a guess.
Please tell what platforms (and OS) are involved: like "the cluster" Is it a Linux cluster?
Yes, it's a Linux cluster and my OS is Win 8. In the cluster I use commands like pgf90 to compile the program and in my PC I use GNU or PGI Fortran. Are there any means to convert the files back to desirable format?

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Try opening it in Wordpad or Notepad++. Plain old notepad is pretty bad with carriage returns from different OS's. Notepad++ is also really good with large data files. I'm currently working with a 200 Meg file using it and the file opens quickly.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
unix has the dos2unix and unix2dos command to reformat files. Most decent editors can do this too. Use the unix commands on the linux boxes.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
Try opening it in Wordpad or Notepad++. Plain old notepad is pretty bad with carriage returns from different OS's. Notepad++ is also really good with large data files. I'm currently working with a 200 Meg file using it and the file opens quickly.
I agree completely about Notepad++ ... SO much better than notepad in a huge number of ways, given all the features it has