Different versions of Falkner-Skan equation

• I
  • Thread starter fahraynk
  • Start date
In summary, there are three different versions of the Falkner-Skan equations, each with slight variations in the assumptions made during derivation and the choice of similarity variables. While the behavior of all three equations is similar, the variables have been normalized differently. Sources for these equations include the book "Boundary Layer Theory" by Schlichting and an MIT open course on the subject.
fahraynk
So I have seen 3 different version of the Falkner-Skan equations and I am wondering what is the difference between them?

The first version :
$$ F'''+FF''+\beta (1-F^{'2})=0\\\\
\beta=\frac{2m}{m+1}\\\\
U_e=aX^m $$

Second version:
$$F'''+\frac{m+1}{2}FF''+m(1-F^{'2})=0\\\\
U_e=aX^m $$

Third version :
$$F'''+(m+1)FF''+m(1-F^{'2})=0\\\\
U_e=aX^m $$

If I plus the formula for beta into the first equation I get ##\frac{m+1}{2}(F'''+FF'')+m(1-F^{'2})=0##
Clearly its not the same.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have the sources where you saw the different versions?

If by plus ##\beta## you mean multiple by ##\frac{1}{\beta}## and ##\beta## is now defined as ##\beta=\frac{2}{m+1}##, that looks okay. As for the difference between the F-S equations you're seeing, I'd first look at what assumptions were made during the derivation.

It'd be my guess that you'd find the answer there, or I could be totally wrong.

Thanks for your reply!

So the second version came from this book from some MIT open course
https://learning-modules.mit.edu/service/materials/groups/166456/files/3079b99e-d885-4950-a04a-21486cb994ec/link?errorRedirect=/materials/index.html
Chapter 3 Page 41of the above link.

The first version came from Schlichting's Boundary Layer Theory 9ed pg 169
But also I found it in the pages I posted below. (here there is a moving ramp in opposite direction of freestream and also suction at wall)
upload_2017-8-24_4-52-46.png

upload_2017-8-24_4-52-59.png

upload_2017-8-24_4-53-10.png

upload_2017-8-24_4-53-20.png

The third version came from a recitation of that class whose book was above. The only difference is it is not divided by a 2.

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-24_4-53-6.png
    upload_2017-8-24_4-53-6.png
    6 KB · Views: 733
The difference is the choice of similarity variable. The behavior of all of the equations is effectively the same but the variables have been normalized slightly differently. It's similar to how you can find two versions of the Blasius equation.

Likes fahraynk

FAQ: Different versions of Falkner-Skan equation

1. What is the Falkner-Skan equation?

The Falkner-Skan equation is a nonlinear differential equation that describes the flow of a viscous fluid over a flat plate. It is used in fluid mechanics to analyze boundary layer flows and is named after the scientists who first derived it in the 1930s.

2. What are the different versions of the Falkner-Skan equation?

There are three main versions of the Falkner-Skan equation: the original version, the modified version, and the generalized version. The original version assumes a constant pressure gradient, the modified version takes into account the influence of pressure gradient, and the generalized version allows for variable fluid properties and non-uniform pressure gradient.

3. What is the significance of the Falkner-Skan equation?

The Falkner-Skan equation is significant because it allows for the analysis of boundary layer flows, which are important in many practical applications such as aerodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics. It also provides insight into the behavior of laminar and turbulent flows over flat plates.

4. What are the limitations of the Falkner-Skan equation?

The Falkner-Skan equation is limited to two-dimensional, steady, and laminar flow. It also assumes a constant viscosity and neglects the effects of compressibility and turbulence. Additionally, it only applies to flat plates and cannot be used for other geometries.

5. How is the Falkner-Skan equation solved?

The Falkner-Skan equation can be solved analytically or numerically using various techniques such as the Runge-Kutta method or the shooting method. The choice of method depends on the specific version of the equation and the desired level of accuracy. Additionally, there are many software programs available that can solve the Falkner-Skan equation for specific boundary conditions.

Back