Differentiability VS derivability

In summary, "differentiability" refers to the quality of a function that is called "dérivable" in French. In English, this attribute is known as "analytic," but it is a stronger criterion than just being differentiable. Being differentiable at a point (x,y) means there exists a linear transformation T that satisfies a certain limit, which is equivalent to the existence of partial derivatives and their continuity. However, in some older books, "differentiable" may refer to the existence of partial derivatives. It is important to note that terminology may vary among authors and a good source for these concepts is the book "Foundations of Modern Analysis" by Dieudonné.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
differentiability VS "derivability"

In french, the quality of a function which in english is called 'differentiable', we call 'dérivable'. And we call 'différentiable' at the point (x,y) a function f such that we can write f(x+h,y+k) - f(x,y) = h*df(x,y)/dx + k*df(x,y)/dy + o(sqrt{h²+k²}).

What is this attribute called in english?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Such a function is called "analytic."

No, that's just the criterion for the function to be differentiable at the point (x,y). Analytic is much stronger.

Hurkyl said:
No, that's just the criterion for the function to be differentiable at the point (x,y).

My teacher insisted that the notion of "différentiabilité" was stronger than that of "dérivabilité".

Being differentiable at (x,y) is stronger than having both of its partial derivatives existing at (x,y). Maybe this is to what your teacher is referring?

In English, a function is differentiable at x (=(x, y)) iff there exists a linear transformation T such that:

[tex]
\lim_{\vec{v} \rightarrow 0} \frac{||f(\vec{x} + \vec{v}) - f(\vec{x}) - T\vec{v}||}{||\vec{v}||} = 0
[/tex]

In the case at hand, T is just the gradient of f at x, so this works out to:

[tex]
\lim_{(h,k) \rightarrow 0} \frac{|f(x+h, y+k) - f(x, y) - h \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}(x,y) - k \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}(x, y)|}{\sqrt{h^2 + k^2}} = 0
[/tex]

which is equivalent to your expression.

Last edited:
Well, my mistake. I was certain that in english, differentiable was a synomym of "both of its partial derivatives exist".

Ugh, it's been a while since I've considered these edge conditions, so I might have this wrong:

I think "f is differentiable" is logically equivalent to "f's partial derivatives exist, and are continuous", so you we're almost right. :smile:

(If it makes you feel better, it took me a little while before I could remember for sure that I had the definitions right!)

if both partials exist and are continuous, then the function is (frechet) differentiable, but not vice versa.

i seem to recall that in some old books the term "differentiable" was used to refer to existence of partials as opposed to frechet derivatives.

remember that every author sets his own terminology.

if one uses continuous derivtives then the existence of partials is equivalent to frechet derivatives,

i.e. to say the frechet derivatives exist and define continuois mapsinto the space of linear functions, is equivalent to saying the partials exist and are continuous.

as always, a very useful source for basic calculus including all these facts is the outstanding book of dieudonne, foundations of modern analysis.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between differentiability and derivability?

Differentiability refers to the property of a function being continuous and smooth at a given point, while derivability refers to the ability to find the derivative of a function at a given point.

2. Can a function be differentiable but not derivable?

No, a function cannot be differentiable without being derivable. If a function is differentiable, it means that the derivative exists at a given point, and therefore the function must also be derivable at that point.

3. How is differentiability related to continuity?

A function is differentiable at a given point if it is also continuous at that point. This means that if a function is discontinuous at a point, it cannot be differentiable at that point.

4. Is a function always differentiable on its entire domain?

No, a function may not be differentiable at certain points on its domain. For example, a function may have a sharp corner or a vertical tangent at a given point, making it not differentiable at that point.

5. How is derivability related to the slope of a tangent line?

The derivative of a function at a given point is equal to the slope of the tangent line to the function at that point. This means that the derivative is a measure of the rate of change of the function at a specific point.