Differential Amplifier with negative feedback

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the open loop gain for a circuit with given quantities such as Vov, VA, ro, and RD. It was discussed that the gain being asked for was likely differential, and it was mentioned that the formula for the gain is Adiff=0.5*gm*ro||RD. However, there was some confusion about whether this equation was sufficient for finding the open loop gain, and it was questioned whether the parameter ro was necessary. The importance of finding the transconductance gm was also emphasized.
DragonChase29

Homework Statement

upload_2017-11-6_19-21-20.png
[/B]
upload_2017-11-6_19-20-22.png

Homework Equations

• Adiff(single-ended)= 1/2gm*ro||Rd
  • β=R2/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really confused as to how to find A. I know the feedback of the circuits around the R2 and R1, but I don't understand how the open loop gain can be found. Can someone assist me in deriving it? First question is what gain are they asking for: common mode or differential? I assume differential, but I am honestly lost.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-6_19-20-22.png
    upload_2017-11-6_19-20-22.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 1,331
  • upload_2017-11-6_19-21-20.png
    upload_2017-11-6_19-21-20.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 967
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the meaning of the various given quantities like Vov, VA, ro, RD ?
Note that the gain is Adiff=0.5*gm*ro||RD.

Last edited:
LvW said:
Do you know the meaning of the various given quantities like Vov, VA, ro, RD ?
Note that the gain is Adiff=1/2(gm*ro||RD).

Yes; my concern is whether the open loop gain(A) is just this equation.

Also, thanks for the reply!

I have a question to you:
The first of the "relevant" equations (gain) - did YOU write down the formula or were it given as part of the original text?
My question is because I do not think that we need this equation.
So I don`t think we need ro. By the way - what is RD?

In any case: We need the transconductance gm. From where do we get this value?

Last edited:

What is a differential amplifier with negative feedback?

A differential amplifier with negative feedback is an electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals while reducing the overall gain of the circuit. This is achieved by feeding a portion of the output signal back to the inverting input of the amplifier, which helps stabilize the output and reduce distortion.

How does a differential amplifier with negative feedback work?

In a differential amplifier with negative feedback, the feedback loop helps to keep the output voltage stable by adjusting the input voltage. When the output voltage increases, the feedback loop sends a portion of the output voltage to the inverting input, which decreases the input voltage and stabilizes the output. This process is known as negative feedback because it reduces the overall gain of the circuit.

What are the advantages of using a differential amplifier with negative feedback?

One of the main advantages of using a differential amplifier with negative feedback is that it reduces distortion in the output signal. This is particularly useful in applications where accurate amplification of small signal differences is required. Additionally, negative feedback also improves the stability and frequency response of the amplifier.

What are the applications of a differential amplifier with negative feedback?

Differential amplifiers with negative feedback are commonly used in audio amplifiers, instrumentation amplifiers, and operational amplifiers. They are also used in signal processing applications, such as filters and oscillators.

How is the gain of a differential amplifier with negative feedback calculated?

The gain of a differential amplifier with negative feedback is calculated as the open-loop gain divided by (1 + the feedback factor). The feedback factor is calculated as the feedback resistance divided by the sum of the feedback resistance and the input resistance. This means that the gain of the circuit can be adjusted by changing the feedback resistance.