Differential as generalized directional deriv (Munkres Analysis on Manifolds)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that h(x) is equal to the sum of (-1)^j-1 times the directional derivative of g_j(x) with respect to v_j. The problem is broken into three parts, with the main focus being on part (b) where the theorem is to be verified in the case of omega = f * dx_I. The conversation also mentions some confusion with notation and a suggestion to use induction to solve the problem.
mathmonkey

Homework Statement

Let ##A## be open in ##\mathbb{R}^n##; let ##\omega## be a k-1 form in ##A##. Given ##v_1,...,v_k \in \mathbb{R}^n##, define
##h(x) = d\omega(x)((x;v_1),...,(x;v_k)),##
##g_j(x) = \omega (x)((x;v_1),...,\widehat{(x;v_j)},...,(x;v_k)),##
where ##\hat{a}## means that the component ##a## is to be omitted.

Prove that ##h(x) = \sum _{j=1}^k (-1)^{j-1} Dg_j (x) \cdot v_j . ##

Homework Equations

The problem is broken into 3 parts:
(a) Let ##X = \begin{bmatrix} v_1 ... v_k \end{bmatrix}##. For each ##j## let ##Y_j = \begin{bmatrix}v_1 ... \hat{v}_j ... v_k \end{bmatrix}##. Given ##(i, i_1,...,i_{k-1})##, show that

##detX(i,i_1,...,i_{k-1}) = \sum _{j=1}^k (-1)^{j-1}v_{ij}detY_j(i_1,...,i_{k-1}).##
(b) Verify the theorem in the case ##\omega = fdx_I##.
(c) Complete the proof.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on part (b), however. By the definition given in the text, if ##\omega = fdx_I## then ##d\omega = df \wedge dx_I##. I'm not quite sure how to link the result of part (a) to prove part (b). If anyone can shed any light on this problem I'd be really grateful! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but I am not familiar with your notation. What is [itex] (x;v_i ) [/itex]? Also, what is [itex] v_{ij} [/itex]? The [itex] j^{th} [/itex] component of [itex] v_i [/itex]? What is [itex] Dg_j [/itex]? The Jacobian? The gradient (which is possible under the identification of [itex] T_p^* \mathbb R^n \cong \mathbb R^n [/itex]? What is [itex] Dg_j \cdot v [/itex]? Is this the standard Euclidean product? Is [itex] I [/itex] a multi-index or a typo?

I will assume that [itex] Dg_j [/itex] is the gradient so that [itex] Dg_j \cdot v_j [/itex] is the directional derivative.

I'm not sure what you are and are not allowed to use, but if [itex] \omega = f \ dx_I [/itex] then you are correct that [itex] d\omega = df \wedge dx_I [/itex]. Thus for two vector fields [itex] v,w [/itex] we have that
[tex]
\begin{align*}
d \omega &= df \wedge dx_I(v,w) \\
&= df(v) dx_I(w) - dx_I(v)df(w) \\
&= w_i Df\cdot v - v_i Df\cdot w.
\end{align*}
[/tex]
With the second equality occurring by definition of the wedge product. Appropriate substitution of your vectors yields the desired equality. Perhaps induction will now work?

Edit: Had to do some craziness with a misplaced tex wrapper.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential as a generalized directional derivative?

A differential as a generalized directional derivative is a mathematical concept that extends the concept of directional derivatives to differentiable manifolds. It represents the rate of change of a function in a specific direction on a manifold. It is a useful tool for studying the behavior of functions on curved surfaces or spaces.

2. How is a differential as a generalized directional derivative calculated?

A differential as a generalized directional derivative is calculated using the gradient of the function and the direction vector. The direction vector is projected onto the tangent space of the manifold at the point of interest, and the dot product of the gradient and the projected vector gives the directional derivative.

3. What is the difference between a differential and a directional derivative?

A differential is a generalized directional derivative that can be defined on a differentiable manifold, while a directional derivative is only defined on Euclidean spaces. Additionally, a differential considers the behavior of a function on a curved surface, while a directional derivative only considers the behavior in a specific direction.

4. How is a differential as a generalized directional derivative used in calculus?

A differential as a generalized directional derivative is used in calculus to study the properties of functions on manifolds. It is useful for finding critical points, determining the direction of steepest ascent or descent, and calculating the rate of change of a function on a curved surface.

5. Can a differential as a generalized directional derivative be negative?

Yes, a differential as a generalized directional derivative can be negative. It represents the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, which can be negative if the function is decreasing in that direction. However, the magnitude of the differential is more important in determining the behavior of the function on a manifold.