Differential Equation arising from Anharmonic Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an Anharmonic Oscillator equation with given potential and kinetic energy using the Lagrangian equation. The solution involves finding a general solution in terms of elliptic functions, with initial conditions represented by the energy and time. The conversation also mentions using Wolfram Alpha to solve the equation, but the resulting solution is too complicated.
bluesquare

Homework Statement

Okay, I am trying to solve this Anharmonic Oscillator equation. Now I am given with the potential
[tex]
U=(1/2)x^2-(1/4)x^4
[/tex]
and Kinetic energy
[tex]
T=(1/2)x' ^2
[/tex]

So the Lagrangian becomes
[itex]\mathcal L[/itex][tex]=T-U[/tex]

Now I have taken all the [tex]k[/tex]'s and [tex]m[/tex] to be 1

Homework Equations

After solving the Lagrangian Equation I got
[tex]
x''(t)=-x(t)+x(t)^3
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

And when I used the solution [tex]x(t)=tanh(t/\sqrt{2}) [/tex] it seems to be satisfying. But my problem is to find a general solution in where I can express my total energy as initial value condition by mentioning my energy and there by controlling how the system behaves e.g how it's position and velocity depends on total energy sort of like SHO problem where [tex]x(t)=\sqrt{2E}sin (t)[/tex] and [tex]v(t)=\sqrt{2E}cos (t)[/tex]

I want my Anharmonic Oscillator position and velocity to be represented like this where [tex]E[/tex] and [tex]t[/tex] clearly providing the initial conditions.

Thank you for the time.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution of the nonlinear DE ##\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-x+x^{3}## is rather complicated and has to be written in terms of elliptic functions. Are you really being asked to find it in your homework?

hilbert2 said:
The general solution of the nonlinear DE ##\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}=-x+x^{3}## is rather complicated and has to be written in terms of elliptic functions. Are you really being asked to find it in your homework?

Yes this is my homework and I know it involves Elliptic Functions. I've tried it putting that equation In Wolfarm Alpha. It gave me back a huge solution .

1. What is an anharmonic oscillator?

An anharmonic oscillator is a physical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior but does not follow the simple harmonic motion described by a linear differential equation. It can be described by a nonlinear differential equation, often with a potential energy function that deviates from the quadratic form of a simple harmonic oscillator.

2. How do anharmonic oscillators relate to differential equations?

Anharmonic oscillators are often modeled using differential equations, specifically nonlinear differential equations. These equations describe the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the oscillator over time, taking into account the nonlinear effects of the system's potential energy function.

3. What is the significance of studying anharmonic oscillators?

Studying anharmonic oscillators is important in many areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nonlinear dynamics. They provide a more realistic model for physical systems and can help us understand and predict the behavior of real-world phenomena.

4. What are some applications of anharmonic oscillators?

Anharmonic oscillators have applications in fields such as molecular dynamics, solid-state physics, and materials science. They can also be used to model and study the behavior of musical instruments, electrical circuits, and chemical reactions.

5. How are differential equations solved for anharmonic oscillators?

Solving differential equations for anharmonic oscillators can be challenging, as closed-form solutions are often not possible. Numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method, are commonly used to approximate solutions. Additionally, perturbation theory and variational methods can be used to obtain approximate solutions for certain types of anharmonic oscillators.