1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Involving Trigonometric Functions

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the differential equation: [itex]\frac{dy}{dx} = cos^2 (x) cos^2 (2y)[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I rewrote the equation

[itex]\frac{dy}{cos^2 (2y)} = sec^2 (2y) = cos^2 (x) dx[/itex]. Then I integrated,
    [itex]\frac{tan(2y)}{2} = \frac{1}{2} (x + sin(x)cos(x)) + c[/itex]. Then I solved for y,
    [itex]y = \frac{tan^{-1} (x + sin(x)cos(x) + c)}{2}[/itex]

But this isn't the answer my book gives (or at least it doesn't look very similar). Where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2
    This is another problem I'd like my work checked on (there's no book answer for this):

Solve the differential equation: [itex]y' = \frac{x^2}{y(1+x^3)}[/itex]

Rearranging the equation,

[itex]y dy = \frac{x^2 dx}{1+x^3}[/itex]. Integrating, let [itex]u= 1+x^3[/itex],
    [itex]\frac{y^2}{2} = \frac{1}{3} \int \frac{1}{u} du = \frac{1}{3} ln|1+x^3| + c[/itex], which implies,
    [itex]y = ± \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3} ln|1+x^3| + c }[/itex]

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Looks OK to me except that you left off the "dy" that should go with sec^2(2y) up above. How does your answer differ from the one in the book? They might have written sin(x)cos(x) as (1/2)sin(2x).

You can always check that what you have is actually a solution. Start with the equation tan(2y) = x + sin(x)cos(x) and differentiate to find dy/dx. Do the same with the book's answer. If one of the solutions doesn't get back to the differential equation, that solution is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook