Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Equation of a hemispherical bowl

1. Feb 8, 2006 #1
    A hemispherical bowl has a radious of R (metres) and at a time t = 0 is full of water. At that moment a circular hole of radius a (centimetres) is opened in the bottom of the bowl. Let y be the vertical height of the water above the hole at time t. Then y is governed by the differential equation

[tex]\pi(Ry-y^2)\frac{dy}{dt} = -\pi(a10^{-2})^2\sqrt{2gy},[/tex]​

where [tex]g = 9.8m/s^2[/tex] is gravity.

Solve this differential equation to find y as an implicit function of t.

I need help with this. Im unsure of how to start. Do i try gather all the y terms on one side and everything else on the other?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2006 #2
    Do you notice the equation is separable, so that f(y)dy = Cdt for some constant C?

4. Feb 8, 2006 #3
    Yes, can i say:

[tex] \frac{(Ry-y^2)dy}{\sqrt{2gy}} = \frac{-\pi(a10^{-2})^2dt}{\pi} [/tex] ?

5. Feb 8, 2006 #4
    Now you should be able to integrate both sides (don't forget the constant of integration afterwards).

6. Feb 8, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've merged the old thread into this one.

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6
    im having difficulty integrating this. how do i get it into a form that is managable or atleast more recognisable??

thanks

8. Feb 13, 2006 #7
    You have
    (Ry-y^2)dy/sqrt(2gy) = Rydy/sqrt(2gy) - y^2dy/sqrt(2gy). Reduce the fractions, and you should be able to find the antiderivative of each term. Does that help?

9. Feb 14, 2006 #8
    um kinda. Im not 100% sure on integrating them.

would i get:

[tex] \frac{2Ry^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} = \frac{3y^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} ?? [/tex]

10. Feb 14, 2006 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Where did "h" come from?? There was no h in anything you wrote before.

Before, you had
    [tex]\frac{(Ry-y^2)dy}{\sqrt{2gy}} [/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2g}}\left(Ry^{\frac{1}{2}}- y^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)dy[/tex]
    That should be easy to integrate.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook