Differential Equation of a hemispherical bowl

In summary, the conversation is about finding the vertical height of water in a hemispherical bowl with a circular hole at the bottom, using a given differential equation. The equation is separable and can be integrated to find the antiderivative of each term. The conversation also touches on reducing fractions and the use of a constant of integration.
jamesbob
A hemispherical bowl has a radious of R (metres) and at a time t = 0 is full of water. At that moment a circular hole of radius a (centimetres) is opened in the bottom of the bowl. Let y be the vertical height of the water above the hole at time t. Then y is governed by the differential equation

[tex]\pi(Ry-y^2)\frac{dy}{dt} = -\pi(a10^{-2})^2\sqrt{2gy},[/tex]​

where [tex]g = 9.8m/s^2[/tex] is gravity.

Solve this differential equation to find y as an implicit function of t.

I need help with this. I am unsure of how to start. Do i try gather all the y terms on one side and everything else on the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you notice the equation is separable, so that f(y)dy = Cdt for some constant C?

Yes, can i say:

[tex] \frac{(Ry-y^2)dy}{\sqrt{2gy}} = \frac{-\pi(a10^{-2})^2dt}{\pi} [/tex] ?

Now you should be able to integrate both sides (don't forget the constant of integration afterwards).

I've merged the old thread into this one.

im having difficulty integrating this. how do i get it into a form that is managable or atleast more recognisable??

thanks

You have
(Ry-y^2)dy/sqrt(2gy) = Rydy/sqrt(2gy) - y^2dy/sqrt(2gy). Reduce the fractions, and you should be able to find the antiderivative of each term. Does that help?

um kinda. I am not 100% sure on integrating them.

would i get:

[tex] \frac{2Ry^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} = \frac{3y^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} ?? [/tex]

jamesbob said:
um kinda. I am not 100% sure on integrating them.

would i get:

[tex] \frac{2Ry^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} = \frac{3y^2}{\sqrt{2gh}} ?? [/tex]

Where did "h" come from?? There was no h in anything you wrote before.

Before, you had
[tex]\frac{(Ry-y^2)dy}{\sqrt{2gy}} [/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2g}}\left(Ry^{\frac{1}{2}}- y^{\frac{3}{2}}\right)dy[/tex]
That should be easy to integrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a differential equation of a hemispherical bowl?

A differential equation of a hemispherical bowl is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the rate of change of the height of water in a hemispherical bowl and other variables such as the radius of the bowl, gravitational acceleration, and the rate of water flow.

2. Why is the differential equation of a hemispherical bowl important?

The differential equation of a hemispherical bowl is important because it allows us to model and predict the behavior of water in a hemispherical bowl, which has many practical applications such as in designing water tanks, fountains, and drainage systems.

3. What are the assumptions made in the differential equation of a hemispherical bowl?

The differential equation of a hemispherical bowl assumes that the bowl is a perfect hemisphere with a constant radius, the water flow is uniform, and there are no external forces acting on the water.

4. How is the differential equation of a hemispherical bowl solved?

The differential equation of a hemispherical bowl can be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the initial/boundary conditions given.

5. Can the differential equation of a hemispherical bowl be applied to other shapes?

While the differential equation of a hemispherical bowl is specific to a perfect hemisphere, similar equations can be derived for other shapes such as a cylindrical bowl or a conical bowl. However, the specific form of the equation will differ based on the geometry of the shape.