Differential equation second order;]

In summary: STRACT: The conversation is about solving a differential equation using the method of making a first degree equation and the attempt at a solution. The individual is looking for confirmation on the accuracy of their calculations and suggestions for the simplest way to solve the equation.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

I have differential equation;] this is equation from central force thing in Lagrange mechanics, you know, you know, its second order hahaha:D
[tex]y^3y^{\prime\prime}=ay+b[/tex]

Homework Equations

I will using method of making a first degree of this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have
[tex]\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u(y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\mbox{d}^2y}{\mbox{d}x^2}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}x}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}[/tex]
and now I enter this new equation to before:
[tex]uy^3\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=ay+b[/tex]
[tex]u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=\frac{ay+b}{y^3}[/tex]
[tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex]
[tex]u=\frac{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}{y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=1[/tex]
someone who is good in mathematic, please tell me if this calculations was good and what can I do now, I was thinking about do this with area functions, but not sure, please tell me simplest way to solve it;] thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
player1_1_1 said:

Homework Statement

I have differential equation;] this is equation from central force thing in Lagrange mechanics, you know, you know, its second order hahaha:D
[tex]y^3y^{\prime\prime}=ay+b[/tex]

Homework Equations

I will using method of making a first degree of this equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have
[tex]\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u(y)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\mbox{d}^2y}{\mbox{d}x^2}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}x}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}[/tex]
and now I enter this new equation to before:
[tex]uy^3\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=ay+b[/tex]
[tex]u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=\frac{ay+b}{y^3}[/tex]
[tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex]
[tex]u=\frac{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}{y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=1[/tex]
someone who is good in mathematic, please tell me if this calculations was good and what can I do now, I was thinking about do this with area functions, but not sure, please tell me simplest way to solve it;] thank you!

What is that -4 in [tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex]? It must be -1 since if you take the derivative of the second term wrt y, a 2y would appear in the numerator which cancels out a factor 1/2 coming from another side so the term b/y^3 is then retrieved. Now that dx should be brought to the other side of equation and then there you are left with a simple integration. Just note that since you are taking the root of [tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex], don't forget to have a sign [tex]\pm[/tex] accompanied with the radical.

AB

Last edited:

What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and independent variables. It is of the form y'' = f(x,y,y'), where y' represents the first derivative of y with respect to x, and y'' represents the second derivative.

What is the difference between a first order and a second order differential equation?

The main difference between a first and second order differential equation is the number of derivatives present. A first order differential equation has only one derivative, while a second order differential equation has two derivatives. This means that the solutions to second order differential equations are functions, while solutions to first order differential equations are curves.

How do you solve a second order differential equation?

To solve a second order differential equation, you can use a variety of techniques such as separation of variables, variation of parameters, or the method of undetermined coefficients. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions given.

What are some real-world applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to model systems with acceleration or oscillatory behavior, such as the motion of a pendulum, a spring-mass system, or an electrical circuit.

Can a second order differential equation have more than one solution?

Yes, a second order differential equation can have multiple solutions. This is because the general solution of a second order differential equation contains two arbitrary constants, which can take on different values to produce different solutions. However, if initial conditions are given, the solution will be unique.