1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential equation second order;]

1. Jan 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have differential equation;] this is equation from central force thing in Lagrange mechanics, you know, you know, its second order hahaha:D
    [tex]y^3y^{\prime\prime}=ay+b[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations
    I will using method of making a first degree of this equation
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I have
    [tex]\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u(y)[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\mbox{d}^2y}{\mbox{d}x^2}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}x}=\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}[/tex]
    and now I enter this new equation to before:
    [tex]uy^3\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=ay+b[/tex]
    [tex]u\frac{\mbox{d}u}{\mbox{d}y}=\frac{ay+b}{y^3}[/tex]
    [tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex]
    [tex]u=\frac{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}{y}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{y}{\sqrt{Cy^2-2ay-4b}}\frac{\mbox{d}y}{\mbox{d}x}=1[/tex]
    someone who is good in mathematic, please tell me if this calculations was good and what can I do now, I was thinking about do this with area functions, but not sure, please tell me simplest way to solve it;] thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2010 #2
    What is that -4 in [tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex]? It must be -1 since if you take the derivative of the second term wrt y, a 2y would appear in the numerator which cancels out a factor 1/2 coming from another side so the term b/y^3 is then retrieved. Now that dx should be brought to the other side of equation and then there you are left with a simple integration. Just note that since you are taking the root of [tex]u^2=-2\frac{a}{y}-4\frac{b}{y^2}+C[/tex], don't forget to have a sign [tex]\pm[/tex] accompanied with the radical.

AB

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook