Differential equation separated variables

In summary, the conversation is about a solved equation and whether it is correctly solved. The person also asks if it is possible to calculate the value of V and if the equation can be simplified further. The response is that the attachment is still pending approval and there are a couple of missing negatives. It is mentioned that it is not possible to simplify the equation any further.
esmeco

Homework Statement

I solved this equation and I was wondering if it's correctly solved...Also, I have one question: In my equation,at the very end, is it possible to calculate the value of V?I have solved other exercises where the final equation was,for example: y + ln[y - 1] = ex + C . Is it possible to simplificate it more?

Homework Equations

Image below

The Attempt at a Solution

Image below

Attachments

• exercise.JPG
    exercise.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone help?

esmeco said:
Anyone help?

I think the reason that no one has helped is that the attachment is still pending approval. You may have to wait a while for it to be approved.

You have a couple of missing negatives: at one point [itex]-(1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex] becomes [itex]-1-\frac{1}{v}[/itex]. I would recommend that you rewrite -(1- v) as v- 1.

In this case, no it is not possible to simplify it any more. That's typical separable differential equations- you cannot generally solve for one variable as a function of the other.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes over time or in relation to other variables.

What does it mean to separate variables in a differential equation?

Separating variables in a differential equation means isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation. This allows for the solution to be found by integration.

Why is separating variables important in solving differential equations?

Separating variables is important because it simplifies the differential equation and makes it easier to solve. It also allows for the use of known integration techniques to find the solution.

What are the steps for solving a differential equation using separated variables?

The steps for solving a differential equation using separated variables are as follows:

1. Separate the variables on opposite sides of the equation
  2. Integrate both sides of the equation
  3. Add a constant of integration on one side of the equation
  4. Solve for the dependent variable
  5. Check the solution by plugging it back into the original equation

Can separated variables be used to solve all types of differential equations?

No, not all types of differential equations can be solved using separated variables. It is only applicable to equations that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively.