Differential Equation to Difference Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving a difference equation from a differential equation, the role of numerical stability in choosing a difference equation, and the preservation of chaos in the discrete solution. The effectiveness of different numerical methods and the importance of testing for chaos and accuracy are also mentioned. It is noted that the finite difference integration should accurately reproduce the main features of the original differential equation.
ebangosh
Hi all,

I am a bit new in this, am trying to learn DE, dynamical systems, & chaos. I am looking into some answers for the following questions:

1) Is it always possible to derive a difference equation for every differential equation, and if so how do we do that?

2) Consider Lorenz system:
upload_2018-11-29_10-9-12.png

Where does Lorenz map/discrete version coming from, was it derived from Lorenz system?

3) I heard about Baker's map but I couldn't figure if Baker's map was also derived from a system of linear differential equation too?

4) If the original system of differential eqns exhibits chaotic characteristic, will this characteristic remains in difference equation?

Thanks for your helps.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-29_10-9-12.png
    upload_2018-11-29_10-9-12.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 865
Physics news on Phys.org
It's possible to form many kinds of difference equations from any DE or PDE. Some of them are better, some worse. The goal is to find a difference equation that is not numerically unstable, i.e. doesn't produce a solution where the numerical error accumulates exponentially with increasing ##t##.

Any characteristic of the original DE, including chaos, should remain in the discrete solution if the numerical scheme is any good. Actually, the small numerical errors in a discretized solution can often initiate chaos even if the initial conditions are carefully set to produce an (unstable) periodic trajectory.

Thank you for your answers. I am trying to absorb them. When you mention 'some of them are better, some worse', did you mean numerically stable and unstable respectively?

How do we test whether the difference equation still own the chaotic characteristics?

If we are modelling real world phenomena, initially using DE/PDE, then after we transform into difference equation, is the model still valid? Is there any sort of threshold on any parameter telling such a thing?

Thank you.

The methods differ in both stability and in how short finite difference ##\Delta t## has to be used in the place of ##dt## to get reasonable accuracy. Try to google some info about Euler and "leapfrog" finite difference methods as an example.

Chaos is tested by doing several calculations with slightly different initial conditions.

The finite difference integration should reproduce the most important features of the original differential equation. For instance, when integrating the time dependent Schrödinger equation, the norm of the wave function should remain constant (unitary time evolution).

1. What is the difference between a differential equation and a difference equation?

A differential equation involves continuous change over time, while a difference equation involves discrete changes at specific intervals. In other words, a differential equation describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives, while a difference equation describes the relationship between a sequence and its successive terms.

2. Can differential equations be converted into difference equations?

Yes, differential equations can be converted into difference equations by discretizing the independent variable, typically through a process called Euler's method. This involves breaking down the continuous function into smaller, discrete intervals and approximating the derivative at each interval.

3. What are some applications of difference equations?

Difference equations are commonly used to model discrete systems in fields such as economics, biology, and physics. They can also be used to analyze time series data and make predictions about future behavior.

4. Are there different types of difference equations?

Yes, there are several types of difference equations, including linear and nonlinear difference equations, as well as difference equations with constant or variable coefficients.

5. How do I solve a difference equation?

Solving a difference equation involves finding a general solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the equation. Numerical methods such as iteration and recursion are often used to approximate solutions for nonlinear difference equations.