1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differential Equation Word Problem

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    An object having mass 70kg falls from rest under the influence of gravity. The terminal velocity of the object is -20 m/s. Assume that air resistance is proportional to velocity.
    Q) Find the velocity and distance traveled at the end of 2 seconds.

I got an answer for the velocity, but I am having trouble with the part about distance travelled. I know I just integrate the equation I had for velocity, but I do not know how to solve for the constant that appears after integrating. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Show us what you have and we'll help you out.

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    Sorry this is my first time using the forum. The furthest I got was this equation for the distance...

x(t)= -40.82e^(-.49t)-20t+A

I need help solving for A, so I can solve for the distance after 2 seconds.

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4

Mark44

If the object is at x = 0 at t = 0, then x(0) = 0. Use that to solve for A. Also, since it is falling from rest, you know that v(0) = 0 as well.

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5
    So since it is falling from rest, you take the initial position to be 0? That makes sense since it is just used as a reference point, right?

7. Jan 22, 2010 #6

Mark44

Or wherever. I didn't see any information in the problem you posted that said it fell from a particular height.

8. Jan 22, 2010 #7
    Exactly. That is why I think it makes sense to take the initial position as 0 since nothing else was given. I will give this a shot. Thanks a lot for your time.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook