1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find position function of freefall with air resistence ODE

1. Sep 20, 2013 #1

1s1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An object of mass ##5##kg is released from rest ##1000##m above the ground and allowed to fall under the influence of gravity. Assuming the force due to air resistance is proportional to the velocity of the object with proportionality constant ##b=50##N-sec/m, determine the equation of motion (for the position ##x(t)##) of the object.

2. Relevant equations
    $$m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg-kv$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The given differential equation describes the velocity with respect to time. How do I turn it into a differential equation that describes the position with respect to time?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Your relevant equation is a bit off, shouldn't it read ##m\frac{dv}{dt} = (-1)(mg+kv)##?

If that's the case then solving it with the constraint that ##v(0) = 0## should simplify things a bit.

4. Sep 20, 2013 #3

1s1

You may be right about the relevent equation being negative on the RHS. My book has it written as I did, but my prof mentioned that physicists sometimes make sign changes to the constant.

But I am still confused about how to make the function into a function of position? I assume you use the relationship ##d=vt##? Or maybe there is an entirely different formula derived for the position rather than the velocity?

5. Sep 20, 2013 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Notice this was part of your question:

This means at ##t=0##, the velocity of the object is zero. That's why I mentioned solving the equation with the constraint ##v(0) = 0##. Right now you have an acceleration equation since it involves derivatives of velocity, but if you integrate acceleration, you get velocity;if you integrate vel...

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

the sign is given by the direction of the [itex]x[/itex] axis. If you define it to point "down", i.e., in direction of the constant gravitation force, the positive sign [itex]+mg[/itex] is correct. The sign in [itex]-k v[/itex] (assuming [itex]k>0[/itex]) is the same for both directions of the [itex]x[/itex] axis, because the friction force must always be such that it tends to decrease [itex]v[/itex].

Further note, that you have a nice inhomogeneous linear differential equation of first order with constant coefficients, which is pretty easy to solve by separation of variables. The gives you [itex]v(t)[/itex].

Then you have to solve another very simple equation
    [tex]v=\frac{\mathrm{d} x}{\mathrm{d} t}.[/tex]
    Given [itex]v[/itex], it's very clear, how to get [itex]x(t)[/itex]!

7. Sep 20, 2013 #6
    Why? Air RESISTANCE implies that it will go against the direction of acceleration. This is a physics problem, primarily.

We're supposed to solve the equation and make a position function, right? I will denote ##\frac{dv}{dt}## as ##v'##, for clarity and ease of notation (id est, laziness. It's a friday. Give me a break :tongue:).

I'm assuming we have ##k=b##, right? So, we have $$mv'=mg-bv \\ v' +\frac{b}{m}v=g.$$ In this form, we can introduce an integrating factor. Can you take it from there?

Edit: vanhees71 got there first by noting the inhomogeneous equation.

Indeed. Finding ##\Gamma(x(t)+1)## is easy once we have ##v##. :biggrin:

8. Sep 20, 2013 #7

1s1

This is very helpful, thanks!

9. Sep 20, 2013 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I suppose it depends on how you decide to define up and down.

For me that's dependent on the day of the week :P.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted