• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Differential Equations and Power Series

• Thread starter kehler
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation f' = 2xf2 with the initial condition f(0)=1 in the following way:
i) First, assume that there is a solution given by a power series
f(x) =
nce0j9.png

with a positive radius of convergence. SUbstitude this into the differential equation and figure out the coefficients an. (it is enough to guess a pattern - you do not have to prove that your guess is correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know f' = sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1.
So sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1 = 2x
nce0j9.png
^2
I substituded x=0 into f(x) and found that a0=1
I don't really know where to go from here :S. How do I figure out the coefficients??

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Let's skip the infinite series notation, it will just get in the way here. This problem is tough to do this way because of the f^2. You have f=1+a1*x+a2*x^2+... so f'=a1+2*a2*x+... That's equal to 2*x*(1+a1*x+a2*x^2+...)^2. You want to equate equal powers of x on either side. So you have to square out that expression to get the coefficients of the power x^k up to whatever k you feel you need to solve for.

Thanks! That really helped :). Hm the pattern Im getting is 1, 0, 1, 0, 1.... What function gives you alternating 0 and 1's?? :S
Would cos2(n pi/2) work?

Last edited:
Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm getting 1,0,1,0,1... too. It's not a cos, it's a geometric series. Add it up or try solving the original differential equation by separation of variables. Either way, you find it's non-series form is 1/(1-x^2).