1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations and Power Series

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the differential equation f' = 2xf2 with the initial condition f(0)=1 in the following way:
    i) First, assume that there is a solution given by a power series
    f(x) = [​IMG]
    with a positive radius of convergence. SUbstitude this into the differential equation and figure out the coefficients an. (it is enough to guess a pattern - you do not have to prove that your guess is correct)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know f' = sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1.
    So sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1 = 2x[​IMG]^2
    I substituded x=0 into f(x) and found that a0=1
    I don't really know where to go from here :S. How do I figure out the coefficients??

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's skip the infinite series notation, it will just get in the way here. This problem is tough to do this way because of the f^2. You have f=1+a1*x+a2*x^2+... so f'=a1+2*a2*x+... That's equal to 2*x*(1+a1*x+a2*x^2+...)^2. You want to equate equal powers of x on either side. So you have to square out that expression to get the coefficients of the power x^k up to whatever k you feel you need to solve for.

4. Sep 13, 2008 #3
    Thanks! That really helped :). Hm the pattern Im getting is 1, 0, 1, 0, 1.... What function gives you alternating 0 and 1's?? :S
    Would cos2(n pi/2) work?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Sep 13, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm getting 1,0,1,0,1... too. It's not a cos, it's a geometric series. Add it up or try solving the original differential equation by separation of variables. Either way, you find it's non-series form is 1/(1-x^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?