Differential Equations and Power Series

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with an initial condition by substituting a power series and finding the coefficients. The result is a geometric series with a non-series form of 1/(1-x^2).
kehler

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation f' = 2xf2 with the initial condition f(0)=1 in the following way:
i) First, assume that there is a solution given by a power series
f(x) =
nce0j9.png

with a positive radius of convergence. SUbstitude this into the differential equation and figure out the coefficients an. (it is enough to guess a pattern - you do not have to prove that your guess is correct)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know f' = sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1.
So sigma(from n=1 to infinity)nanxn-1 = 2x
nce0j9.png
^2
I substituded x=0 into f(x) and found that a0=1
I don't really know where to go from here :S. How do I figure out the coefficients??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's skip the infinite series notation, it will just get in the way here. This problem is tough to do this way because of the f^2. You have f=1+a1*x+a2*x^2+... so f'=a1+2*a2*x+... That's equal to 2*x*(1+a1*x+a2*x^2+...)^2. You want to equate equal powers of x on either side. So you have to square out that expression to get the coefficients of the power x^k up to whatever k you feel you need to solve for.

Thanks! That really helped :). Hm the pattern I am getting is 1, 0, 1, 0, 1... What function gives you alternating 0 and 1's?? :S
Would cos2(n pi/2) work?

Last edited:
I'm getting 1,0,1,0,1... too. It's not a cos, it's a geometric series. Add it up or try solving the original differential equation by separation of variables. Either way, you find it's non-series form is 1/(1-x^2).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations are solved by finding the general solution, which is a formula that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable. This is done by integrating the equation or using other methods such as separation of variables or substitution.

3. What is a power series?

A power series is a series of terms where each term is a power of some variable, usually x. It is written in the form ∑n=0 an(x-c)n, where an represents the coefficient of the nth term and c is the center of the series.

4. How are power series used in solving differential equations?

Power series can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations. By substituting a power series into a differential equation, we can find a recurrence relation between the coefficients and solve for the unknown function. This allows us to find an infinite series solution to the differential equation.

5. What are the applications of differential equations and power series in real life?

Differential equations and power series have numerous applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They can be used to model and predict many natural phenomena, such as population growth, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in the development of computer algorithms and in financial modeling.